- We really wanted to build the combat system to- like i said earlier- be as physical as possible. So we have it very animation driven. Everything is handled based on a reference of animation as opposed to nebulous timings, which allows it to feel very impactful and very responsive. – Keenan Reimer
- Races will not have unique combat animations, but will have unique non-combat animations.
- We're not going to be having I think unique combat animations. However we will have unique non-combat animations, such as your idle, your walk, your run cycle: things that the combat attacks do not have to blend back into. – Steven Sharif
Animation cancelling will not be a combat mechanic.
Revamped Alpha-1 Mage Fireball ability
The general approach that we're kind of taking based on a lot of feedback and just good combat design in general. You know philosophy is that we want to give more agency in the hands of the player and the antithesis of that is locking the player down for really long amounts of time. The sort of concept behind that is like you could make an animation effects as glorious looking as possible but if it's taking away control of the player, none of that really matters. Especially the 100th or thousandth time you're using the spell you're tired of that happening you don't feel powerful: You feel the opposite of powerful. So we're trying to like give a lot of control back to the player while they're using these abilities so they can still control their movements, they can react simultaneously while they're taking actions; and we just want to get overall more of a fluid flow, I guess, of combat. And that's kind of the general design philosophy we're using to approach the overhaul. – Tradd Thompson
- Most abilities you'll find in Ashes of Creation are capable of being cast while moving. Some of those abilities might slow your movement during the cast, but you can continue to move. Very rarely, and depending on obviously the importance of the ability or the power level of that ability, you might be rooted in place. So, for example, the AoE ability [Chains of Restraint] has a lot going on. It has damage ticking over time, it is an area of effect, it also has a status condition application; and in those instances the player character gets rooted. – Steven Sharif
- There's a balance in the game design between your movement speed on attack and the movement speed of your opponent. When you have a game that is both PvE centric as well as PvP centric, you have to make sure that combat is blended for both approaches; and we can always run into problems where, if you're significantly hampered in your movement speed, that has an effect on how we expect player versus player engagements to interact; and we don't want to restrict a player's ability to be mobile if they're the target of an attack. And as a result of that we need to make sure that we don't restrict the movement abilities of the player who is doing the attacking as well. So we want it to be relatively free for you to stay with each other. Your opponents move around the battlefield together and if we're hampering you on the attack action, we have to then implement some type of snare, or slow, or cc effect essentially on your opposing target; and that's not the approach we want to take for for PvP. – Steven Sharif
- Q: If a ranger is super mobile, what are the melee's options in order to catch them?
- A: Different class kits will provide different gap closers. They'll provide different mobility skills. They'll have lockdowns. They'll have chains to pull back. They'll have a lot of different things in the rotation. That's part of what an MMORPG experience is. You're not just restricted to three or six skills, you have a rotational suite; and depending on the type of challenges you face is going to help determine which of those rotations you spec into from your skill tree. – Steven Sharif
|This section contains information from early testing phases. It will be updated as soon as new information is made available.|
||Blinks forward in the direction you are traveling.
||Now deals damage to enemies surrounding your departure location.
||Rush toward a target; and upon reaching the target, deal an amount damage with a chance to knock the target down.
Weapon weight refers to how the mass of a weapon affects its performance during combat.
- There is a balance between player motion and agency as we call it and weapon weightedness- that almost locked-in-place rooted position- the heavier the weapon is, the more restrictions you want to place on that player agency to showcase the rooted effect: That weight- that heavyweight kind of aspect; and so what we've done by presenting you guys with both the dual daggers and the two-handed weapon is we've kind of shown the range between that complete player agency: a player agency in the light weapon attacks that's the dual daggers, and the maximum range of of rootedness or weightedness that's present on the two-handed weapon; and that's the spectrum in which our basic melee combat will exist within. So if there are medium weapon groups that exist in-between there, it's going to be somewhere in between that spectrum. – Steven Sharif
There are interactive social animations and emotes.
Some animations will be agreed-upon emotes that you can initiate with other characters.
- Q: Can we dance on tables?
- A: Technically the tables are in world, so yes... – Steven Sharif
There may be emotes associated with mounts and pets, such as petting, hugging, or playing with them.
- In alpha one you might have seen some of the anims on the rider of a horse that they went down and patted the side of the neck, or they would pet those; but those would be separate actions that you could potentially do as just additional emotes, but interfaces with a mount or pet that you have active. – Steven Sharif
Underwater content will be accessible, not cumbersome.
Treasures may be obtained through fishing and by exploring naval content.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Video, June 30, 2022 (20:29).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Video, June 30, 2022 (21:19).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (53:33).
- ↑ Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:12:56).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Livestream, November 22, 2019 (1:09:37).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (1:05:11).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Livestream, February 26, 2021 (27:41).
- ↑ Video, February 26, 2021 (6:17).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (46:30).
- ↑ Livestream, July 30, 2021 (31:22).
- ↑ Interview, June 13, 2021 (4:12).
- ↑ Livestream, May 28, 2021 (1:13:05).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Livestream, December 2, 2022 (59:47).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:17:13).
- ↑ Livestream, May 8, 2017 (43:30).
- ↑ Livestream, December 23, 2021 (55:32).
- ↑ Video, December 23, 2021 (23:53).
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Livestream, October 14, 2022 (48:45).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1
- ↑ Livestream, June 26, 2020 (1:30:40).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (49:42).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2022 (51:28).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Alpha-1 screenshot.
- ↑ Video, December 23, 2020 (1:17).
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (57:33).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 Video, December 22, 2020 (7:35).
- ↑ Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:29:48).
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (42:29).
- ↑ Video, September 26, 2019 (0:0).
- ↑ Video, December 4, 2017 (1:20).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Interview, October 20, 2018 (3:30:40).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 Livestream, November 17, 2017 (53:02).
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:04:52).
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:42:41).
- ↑ Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:00:57).
- ↑ Livestream, May 19, 2017 (38:46).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2020 (55:39).
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (30:12).
- ↑ Podcast, April 11, 2021 (36:43).