From Ashes of Creation Wiki
- 1 Overview
- 2 Keystroke System
- 3 Skill Trees
- 4 Augments
- 5 Mobility
- 6 Video
- 7 Combat FAQ
- 7.1 Combat, I know you said it is 20% rough now [As of PAX West], where do you see it going, do you see it polished in 2018 for Alpha and Beta?
- 7.2 As your are probably aware, combat is a core aspect to any MMO and in the past we’ve seen it can really make or break a game. Can you tell us about the combat system in AoC and your design principles behind it?
- 7.3 Is there going to be mounted combat? Can mounts be killed?
- 7.4 How will mob tagging work? How will looting work? Combat? 
- 7.5 Will any spells require players to be stationary and will players be able to interrupt?
- 7.6 Do you intend to limit the number of spells you can learn or only those that can go on the bar?
- 7.7 Will the area music change when you’re under attack?
- 7.8 Will there be some kind of RNG involved in the damage you deal / heal and does position relating to the opponent, such as damage from back being more effective? 
- 7.9 What kind of restrictions do you have for using untypical weapons for your class.?
- 8 References
- Combat will be a hybrid system that focuses on skill, composition, balance/counterbalance, and movement/positioning. 
- Combat effectiveness drops as you gain corruption.
- All stats relate to your combat effectiveness in PvX.
- Players will chose their skill sets from their chosen archetype combination class. 
- Precision system used in combat with weapons where you can combo your weapon skills.
- Completed combos will build energy for your ultimate ability.
- Tank Referenced here:
- Swings sword
- While sword is swinging hits they next key and shield bashes enemy
- While shield bash is occurring hits the final key and slams sword down into the target
- Hit boxes may be adjusted through alchemical means or customizing their character smaller or larger what that means in the stat * perspective so that it blends well into the tab system
- You level everything simultaneously.
- You will be able to spec deeper into one skill over the other.
- You will have skill trees you cannot have all the skills on.
- Players have a choice to be geared more towards tab targeting or action orientated combat.
- Augments modify how primary skills feel and act. For example as a Fighter primary you might have a rush skill and with Rogue secondary you get a stealth augment for the your charge.
- Some skills and functionality will only be part of primary skills. For example a cleric secondary might be able to heal himself but will not be able to be the primary healer in a raid.
- You can gain augments from different sources:
- Secondary archetype
- Artisan class
- Other community organizations (e.g. Thieves guild)
- Race 
- Race advancement
- Guild progress
- Mobility is very important 
- In PvP seeing what the opposing player is doing, and reacting to that fast enough to get out of the way of it is needed. 
- Rangers are highly mobile in internal builds (as of 6/4/18) and it is noticeable how effective the ranger can be with just mobility skills and a couple of dps skills, the mobility makes up for it. 
- Rangers are meant to act as good skirmishers in PvP, going in and out of combat. 
Combat, I know you said it is 20% rough now [As of PAX West], where do you see it going, do you see it polished in 2018 for Alpha and Beta?
Steven: I believe we will see very close to complete combat state of polish at the end of 2018 
As your are probably aware, combat is a core aspect to any MMO and in the past we’ve seen it can really make or break a game. Can you tell us about the combat system in AoC and your design principles behind it?
- Huge part of the design philosophy, how to find the blend of character skill and player skill that results in the best game. Want to create a healthy balance of what players are capable of that includes strategy, skill, progression. Epic gear shouldn’t just shit on everyone else, if they aren’t skilled enough,
- Flat power curve.
- Hybrid action/tab targeting system. Positioning, dodge skills, i-frames, other action combat systems combined with tab targeting systems.
- Both systems have their faults, want to include the best of both systems.
- Not class based, all classes include this balance.
Is there going to be mounted combat? Can mounts be killed?
- Mounts can be killed
- Mounts will have abilities that some mounts will have. Some might have combat applications.
- Won’t be able to use class skills while mounted.
How will mob tagging work? How will looting work? Combat? 
- No nailed down system on mob tagging
- Will release developer blogs on these specific mechanics
- Want to make sure the combat system is done well
- Most focus is on the combat system
- Apprehensive of showing unfinished gameplay because people jump to conclusions.
- There will be cooldowns
- Fast paced
- Skill will play an important role
- Positioning, kiting, battlefield control
Will any spells require players to be stationary and will players be able to interrupt?
- There will be skills that lock you down
- Some abilities will make you a bigger target
- There will be chances to interrupt
- Some abilities will be better than others at interrupting
Do you intend to limit the number of spells you can learn or only those that can go on the bar?
- No, you will not have a hundred spells on your bar.
- There is not a spellbook, no memorization
- Your Learning spells and your using a certain amount of them
Will the area music change when you’re under attack?
- Yes, 100%, battle declared = heavy percussion
Will there be some kind of RNG involved in the damage you deal / heal and does position relating to the opponent, such as damage from back being more effective? 
- Not generally, but there are skills that require position to use
- Positioning will not be a factor in damage of the skill
- RNG will come into play with critical hits for example
- Some Evasion for non-action oriented skills
What kind of restrictions do you have for using untypical weapons for your class.?
- There aren't actually any restrictions there are certainly builds well the goal is to have builds that kind of Justified in using any weapon or kind of tailoring weapons to match your playstyle so it's more 1 more dial on your character that you can play with.
|PvE||Dungeons • Exploration • Questing • World Events|
|PvP||Arenas • Battle Royale Guide • Open World • Sieges|
|RP (Role Playing)||Cosmetics • Parlor Games • Pets|
|Economy||Artisan Classes • Economy#Caravans • Markets • Trade|
|Other||Achievements • Combat • Guilds • User Interface|