In a world of high magic, no party would be complete without a mage. Masters of the arcane, they bring terrible elements to bear in devastating spells. If reality needs changing in some fashion, ask a Mage to help.
|Skill||Icon||Rank 1||Rank 2||Rank 3|
|After image||Summon shadows of yourself to confuse your enemies, granting you momentary invulnerability. Lasts 4 seconds. Mirror image evasion buff.||Increased evasion.||Bonus damage while buff is active.|
|Arch lightning||Launch a bolt of lightning in a forward line, damaging all within its path.||Adds damage over time to targets hit.||Chains to nearby enemies that are not hit. Anyone who is outside the line has a chance to get a bolt jump to them.|
|Black hole||Pulls all enemies to a point picked by the caster after a short delay.||Snares targets after pull.||Black hole explodes at the end of the pull duration dealing damage.|
|Blink||Blink forward in the direction you are traveling.||Increased blink distance. Reduces threat on targets nearby upon activation.||Increased blink distance. Deals area damage upon impact.|
|Cloth armor (passive)||Increases armor given by cloth armor.||Further increases armor given by cloth armor.||Bonus mana for each piece of cloth armor.|
|Elemental (passive)||Increases to elemental damage. The more the mage changes their element type the more damage is done.||-||-|
|Forcefield||Eats mana based on flight height and duration. Mitigates incoming damage by eating mana at a high consumption. Has mixed utility and defensive application.||-||-|
|Gift of the Magi||Grant a portion of the Mage's mana to friendly character.|
|Ice prison||Target an enemy and summon a prison of ice around them, paralyzing them.||Adds damage over time.||Snares after root breaks.|
|Ice sheet||Creates an area where enemies are knocked down.||Snares two targets in area.||Increases size and duration.|
|Implosion||Launch a powerful burst of fire (fireball) against a single target.||Becomes a burn (damage over time).||Area of effect around the target.|
|Mage's detection||Reveal secret passages and magically hidden terrain around you. Casts light and reveals magical explosive hazards.||-||-|
|Portal||Create a portal under the caster and place a second portal in a location picked by the caster. Portal will only work for a certain number of players. May be able to be used offensively.||Increases range.||Using portal reduces threat and clears targets.|
|Prismatic Beam||Channels a beam attack toward a target. Does more damage the longer the ability is held down.||Damages over time after channel.||Damages enemies between caster and target in a cone.|
|Quake||If your focus is at 80%, cast this spell to split the earth itself before you, launching a line of AoE damage.||Knock down those hit by your arcane might.||Reduces focus cost and cooldown for the skill.|
|Safe space||Targeted party member (can be self) is removed from combat for duration. They are sent to some extra dimensional location.||Banished target gets extra mana while banished.||Reduced cooldown.|
|Spellbook combo||Target an enemy and use magic missiles from your spellbook to strike with multiple blows. Dealing damage and powering up your focus with this weapon attack.||-||-|
|Tentacles||Creates an area of effect around the caster that roots targets.||Adds damage over time to targets and increases range.||Increases duration.|
- Other elemental influences may include Darkness, Light and Planar.
- Elements may have more influence in certain seasons and climates. For example, frost abilities may be stronger in winter. This affects both PvE and PvP.
- There may be ley lines and strong magical places in the world that change or alter the way spells work.
We've discussed a little bit about how the seasons and biomes will react with different types of skills. Like if you have a fireball and it's summer it might be a little bit different. If it's winter and you have a frost ability it might be different. – Steven Sharif
Say for instance, I am a Ranger that has a Charge bolt ability as my primary active skill and I've chosen Mage as my secondary and applied the elemental to it. I now have a Frost charge bolt, and if I fire that frostbolt and hit a target, they may be freezing for a period of time as a debuff and that might slow their speed. If a wizard applies a nuke on a target and that nuke is a frost-based nuke, those two stacking elements might then either further snare (slow the target) or paralyze and freeze the target. So, there are combination out effects that build up: A primary, secondary and some ancillary effect occurs when those are combined. – Steven Sharif
There's going to be four schools of augmentation for each archetype. One of the schools for the mage is the teleport school. You can take that teleport augment, apply it to your charge skill: now instead of charging x distance over time you're going to immediately teleport to the target dealing x damage and a condition modifier. If you were to apply the elemental school to your class ability you would then instead you would charge x distance; upon reaching target you would set the target ablaze if it's fire or you would electrocute them and deal with damage over time. – Steven Sharif
When we were creating the book we have for Alpha-0, one the ideas floating around was to have a large tome with a chain that held the tome; and you could swing the tome to hit your targets as a melee book. Whether or not that comes to fruition we will see, but it was an idea on the sketchboard. – Steven Sharif
- Video, 7 February 2017 (0:02s).
- Archetype breakdown.
- PAX West 2017 Mage poster.
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:52).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:15).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:20).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (57:33).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:44).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:53).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:00:44).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (39:02).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:08).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (38:35).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (41:26).
- Livestream, 31 July 2020 (1:02:59).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (42:42).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (40:14).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (40:23).
- Livestream, 16 October 2017 (43:14).
- Interview, 18 July 2020 (1:05:04).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (27:47).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (26:19).
- Livestream, 30 September 2020 (1:04:56).
- Livestream, 1 June 2017 (20:23).
- Livestream, 26 June 2020 (1:32:16).
- Interview, 19 July 2020 (58:18).
- Livestream, 30 May 2019 (58:28).
- Livestream, 24 May 2017 (14:15).
- Livestream, 8 April 2018 (PM) (17:38).
- Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- Interview, 29 July 2020 (49:53).