There will be directional attacks (back attacks, flanking attacks, frontal attacks) that deal additional damage depending on the positional context of the attack.
All weapons have a forward attack cone, regardless of being in tab or action mode.
- The cone's arc and distance will vary based on weapon type.
Polearms for example will have a much wider arc and much further out. Daggers will have a more fine-tuned arc, so you have to be more precise in that regard. – Steven Sharif
This is described as a weapon attack not an active skill.
Hybrid combat refers to the choice between tab and action combat in Ashes of Creation. A toggle button (default Z, but can be re-bound to another key) allows the player to switch between action and tab combat modes.
- The action mode camera is tied to the to the player's reticle (crosshair).
- Targeted skills require either a soft or hard locked target.
- Soft locking is when the reticle moves over a valid target while in action mode. The targeting plate will appear slightly grayed out to indicate that this is a soft-lock target. If the reticle moves away from the target or the target moves away from the reticle, the target is lost..
- Hard locking is when the player uses right-mouse on a soft-locked target in action mode, or when the player selects a valid target in tab mode. The targeting plate will not be grayed-out to indicate that a hard-lock target is selected. Unlike soft locking, if the target moves out of the reticle, the target is not lost. Tab will still cycle between hard-locked targets in action mode based on proximity priority.
- Templated skills allow "blind firing" without a target while in action mode. If an entity moves into the path of the attack they can be struck.
Q: What the benefits are for tab versus action. I feel like a lot of people feel like tab is just easier so why would I use action?
A: If you're in a massive brawl, the ability to pick and choose targets that are far in the back line that might might be more advantageous towards tab target users because they're able to click, but the reaction time to acquire a target for a cursor versus acquiring a target for a reticle is much faster and less cumbersome because it doesn't require as many actions on behalf of the user. – Steven Sharif
Templated and targeted versions of skills will have different characteristics.
- Skill progressions, skill point allocation is determined by the player. The player will be able to choose either more tab-target oriented skills or more action-based skills and customize their playable experience to what accommodates their preference. From a balancing standpoint for us developers, we need to make sure that certain abilities house certain functions so that there's a balance between skill shots and tab-target abilities. – Steven Sharif
- Targeted skills will be greyed out if the target is not within a valid range but templated skills will generally require the player to assess the correct range for the skill.
- Different ranks of the same skill can change the skill from tab to action or vice-versa.
- It may not be possible to be able to fully spec into just action or tab targeted skills. There might be a 75% cap on choosing skills from any one type.
- For the purposes of balance, certain skill types will be either tab or action oriented skills.
- As an example: Let's say you're playing a ranged class. You could have an action-oriented power shot in your skill tree or you could have a single target power shot that ramps up and does more damage. – Steven Sharif
There are player and spell collision mechanics in Ashes of Creation.
- Inertia and momentum physics will help prevent blocking doorways/access points. This is based on a character's direction and movement speed, and can be used to push people out of the way.
The developers are testing different approaches to accommodate varying hitboxes between the races.
- There may be a single unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special collision rules as opposed to having different sized hitboxes.
More than likely we'll have some sort of unified or unified-ish hitbox. But again it's going to probably have a unified hitbox with some exceptions or some special sort of collision rules based on them as opposed to kind of just making it smaller for one and not the other. – Jeffrey Bard
There aren't separate types of hitbox categories in the Ashes of Creation MMORPG as there were in Ashes of Creation Apocalypse.
We don't have separate types of hitbox categories, for example. There's no head hit box in the MMORPG like there was in APOC. So from a critical standpoint you're not going to see a greater risk of critting for a larger hitbox. – Steven Sharif
- We really wanted to build the combat system to- like i said earlier- be as physical as possible. So we have it very animation driven. Everything is handled based on a reference of animation as opposed to nebulous timings, which allows it to feel very impactful and very responsive. – Keenan Reimer
- We're not going to be having I think unique combat animations. However we will have unique non-combat animations, such as your idle, your walk, your run cycle: things that the combat attacks do not have to blend back into. – Steven Sharif
Animation cancelling will not be a combat mechanic.
- Players will be able to cancel channeled abilities.
The use of weapon stances in game is likely.
In specific circumstances there will be telegraphs (tells) to communicate something that's happening.
- Animation tells.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:11:25).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:15:39).
- ↑ Video, September 30, 2022 (17:03).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Livestream, September 30, 2022 (41:06).
- ↑ Livestream, August 27, 2021 (1:16:04).
- ↑ Livestream, June 25, 2021 (22:34).
- ↑ Livestream, November 16, 2017 (30:45).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Livestream, June 25, 2021 (27:43).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:09:51).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 Video, September 30, 2022 (17:00).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (59:21).
- ↑ Livestream, June 25, 2021 (26:11).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2022 (49:16).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2022 (52:33).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2022 (48:10).
- ↑ Livestream, September 30, 2022 (54:35).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 21.3 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (37:57).
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 22.3 22.4 22.5 Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:07:59).
- ↑ Livestream, January 27, 2023 (1:11:07).
- ↑ Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:12:50).
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 25.2 25.3 25.4 25.5 Podcast, August 4, 2018 (1:11:05).
- ↑ 27.0 27.1
- ↑ Interview, March 27, 2020 (15:20).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 29.2 29.3 29.4 Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:15:59).
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 Video, June 30, 2022 (20:29).
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 Video, June 30, 2022 (21:19).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (53:33).
- ↑ Livestream, December 22, 2020 (1:12:56).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 Livestream, November 22, 2019 (1:09:37).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (1:05:11).
- ↑ Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:19:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 22, 2017 (49:38).