|Query: In the September 30, 2022 livestream Steven stated that You can always hot weapon swap even in combat, but you can't swap your armor and gear. Nothing that's in a hand or range slot if you're in combat. This seems somewhat contradictory. It also contradicts an earlier statement from the same livestream that if you execute an ability that requires a ranged weapon, but if you have your melee weapon out it will automatically swap to the range weapon.. Clarification would be appreciated.|
Weapon swapping (between equipment slots) is possible while in combat.
- Swapping weapons (from inventory) into a hand or range slot is not possible in combat.
- Previously this was said to be subject to a cooldown period (in the range of a few seconds) following any damage taken or done by the player.
- You can always hot weapon swap even in combat, but you can't swap your armor and gear. Nothing that's in a hand or range slot if you're in combat. – Steven Sharif
Players cannot swap armor while in combat.
There are 16 gear slots in Ashes of Creation:
Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an "undergarment" slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
A character may equip up to two hand weapons and also wear a ranged weapon on their back.
- Characters performing ranged abilities will switch to the ranged weapon, then can switch back to the melee weapon and shield or two-handed melee weapon.
- There will be a setting to determine if the ranged weapon or main/offhand selection is your primary weapon to use for Q or left-mouse-button basic attacks.
- Let's say you use Power shot: You click Power shot, you quickly switch over to the ranged weapon, execute the skill, and you're back to your primary focus, which is the the sword and shield; and then for weapon attacks like your Q or your left mouse button, you would have the option to to set which is your focus, the ranged weapon, or the main offhand selection and you can swap back and forth between that as you want. – Steven Sharif
Rangers are going to have a minimum distance requirement where they are eligible to use their ranged weapons.
- While melee characters have a max distance proximity where they're eligible to use their sword and melee weapons, Rangers are going to have a minimum distance requirement. – Steven Sharif
Melee weapons have a maximum range of effect.
- There are two melee weapon slots: One on each side of a character's belt.
Dual wielding will be permitted for selected one handed weapons.
- Dual weapons are treated as single items that when equipped will occupy both main and off-hand gear slots.
- There is a limited selection of weapons that can be dual wielded.
- Shields cannot be dual wielded.
- Great swords probably can't be dual wielded.
- Q: How will animations work while dual wielding weapons of A) a different type, for example an axe and a dagger; or B) different weapon speeds?
- A: Dual weapons will have their own animation sets; and... there will be a limited selection of which weapons can be dual weapons. Players will make that selection. They'll create those dual weapons as as bespoke single items that when equipped will occupy both the main and offhand; and then how we handle the attack speeds is we offer animations at a particular speed and then we adjust that with a modifier based on whatever is influencing that: either increase or slow down in speed. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Livestream, September 30, 2022 (51:09).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Livestream, September 30, 2022 (49:16).
- ↑ Video, August 17, 2018 (0:01).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Podcast, September 29, 2021 (40:50).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Interview, May 11, 2018 (16:32).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:03:45).
- ↑ Livestream, May 30, 2019 (1:15:58).
- ↑ Livestream, July 28, 2017 (34:32).
- ↑ Livestream, August 28, 2020 (1:15:02).
- ↑ Livestream, July 28, 2017 (24:54).
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:17:34).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Livestream, June 30, 2017 (47:14).
- ↑ Podcast, September 29, 2021 (46:20).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 Livestream, September 30, 2022 (1:13:23).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Livestream, June 16, 2017 (40:06).
- ↑ Livestream, July 28, 2017 (33:36).