Crafting in Ashes of Creation is recipe (blueprint, schematic) based, not RNG based.
- Recipes that are obtained must be committed to a player's recipe book prior to that recipe being able to be used for crafting. This "consumes" the recipe.
- Recipes can be traded or sold prior to them being committed into a player's recipe book.
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used to customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
The ability for players to create original recipes will not be present in the game at launch, but may be included at some point in the future.
- Crafting does not have mixing and matching (of arbitrary materials) in the manner of animal husbandry.
List of recipes
|This section contains information from Alpha-1 testing. It will be updated when new information is made available.|
|Item||Icon||Item type||Rarity||Level requirement||Set|
|Cloth Belt of Dark Fortunes||Belt||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Boots of Dark Fortunes||Boots||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Epaulettes of Dark Fortunes||Shoulders||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Gloves of Dark Fortunes||Gloves||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Hood of Dark Fortunes||Helmet||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Leggings of Dark Fortunes||Pants||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Robes of Dark Fortune||Chest armor||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Cloth Sleeves of Dark Fortune||Wrists||Epic||15||Dark Fortunes|
|Demonic Offering Aegis||Shield||Epic||15|
|Imposing Plate Belt||Belt||Rare||9||Imposing|
|Lava Forged Defender||Shield||Rare||Lava Forged|
|Plate Belt of Dragons Protection||Belt||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Boots of Dragons Protection||Boots||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Cussies of Dragons Protection||Pants||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Gauntlets of Dragons Protection||Gloves||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Quill Of The Tundra||Wand||Epic||15|
|Ranseur Of Malice||Spear||Epic||15|
|Replica Of Dignitas||Axe||Epic||15|
|Spire Of Illusion||Staff||Epic||15|
|Transcendent Plate Helm||Helmet||Legendary||15||Transcendent|
There are many different ways to achieve recipes. We want to take crafting and house the location of those recipes throughout different progression paths, so that not everything is pigeon-holed into one way forward. – Steven Sharif
Recipes are discovered in the world.
- Drops from monsters.
- Completing quest lines.
- Through treasure hunting.
- Through repetition of specific activities.
- Becoming Mayor may unlock specific node-related recipes.
- Progression within a social organization, such as the Thieves' guild or Scholar's academy.
- Killing a legendary boss.
- Gaining a title.
- By constructing certain buildings on a freehold.
- Based on status within a religious organization/church.
- Deconstructing/disassembling rare item drops from bosses can yield recipes that can be used to replicate that item.
- Trading/buying from other players.
We're definitely going to have rare recipes. We're going to have a very active recipe market that how players find them and how they discover them is going to be very diverse. It's not just going to be drop oriented. It's going to be discovery, adventurism, treasures, repetition of a particular activity that might yield something, deconstruction that might learn how to create a recipe. There's a lot of different functionality that's present that's going to be utilized. – Steven Sharif
A royalty system where players can license recipes to other players for a certain amount of time and collect royalties was discussed as a possibility.
The developers will be seeking testing feedback on the addition of a gameplay layer to crafting that determines the outcome based on the player's performance.
- For example, if you're creating a sword, and you are crafting that sword, you will have an interface- a gameplay layer that you will see and you will begin to hammer actually that sword into an appropriate outline. And your performance there can help influence the outcome of that craft. – Steven Sharif
- It is likely that Star Wars Galaxies inspired crafting mechanics will be present in Ashes of Creation.
- Without getting into too much detail I will say that it's likely that you will see some inspiration surface itself in that regard. – Steven Sharif
- Previously it was stated that repetitive skill-based crafting mechanics, such as mini-games, are not an intended part of the crafting experience.
- We did discuss that type of a feature where the skill of the crafter would grant a greater window of skill-based type crafting. So the higher master level you have of crafting a certain item, the greater your potential to impact the quality of that item might be... The concern obviously that we have when going into developing this type of system is that we don't want what is a fun - you know for lack of a better term - mini-game to be something that becomes repetitive and kind of makes it monotonous... If when we start to flesh out the crafting system and we take a look at that interaction of melding crafting, the actual activity of making something, there is room in the design sheet for different iterations of that particular action; and we may see something come about that can be skill oriented, but that's something that's going to require a lot of testing and different iterations from a design standpoint. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ Livestream, May 5, 2017 (20:41).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Livestream, January 28, 2022 (1:19:48).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Interview, February 7, 2021 (37:26).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (5:25).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (8:22).
- ↑ Livestream, June 4, 2018 (35:11).
- ↑ Interview, February 7, 2021 (38:15).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 9.8 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (PM) (28:38).
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Livestream, May 26, 2017 (26:00).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Livestream, February 24, 2023 (39:43).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Livestream, October 14, 2022 (35:22).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Interview, February 7, 2021 (45:41).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Podcast, May 11, 2018 (27:20).
- ↑ Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).