|Gathering professions||Processing professions||Crafting professions|
Artisan classes allow a player to specialize in one or more of the three artisan skill trees: Gathering, Processing, and Crafting.
Within each of the three artisan classes lies different professions.
- Characters within a single account (Alts) may have different professions.
- There are profession-specific quests.
- Professions will be balanced based on testing.
A character may only master one of the three parent artisan classes.
- It is possible to master up to two professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).
- A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
- When it comes to balancing a system that's something that we do during testing phases. When it comes to architecting the system itself and identifying the areas in which certain certain professions excel, where they interact with ancillary systems, their interconnectivity across the artisanship system as a whole, the important part there is to identify how that the interconnectivity lives with the other professions in the artisanship system. And what type of reliance you have on particular professions to complete the path of crafting or introduction of new items into the economy. – Steven Sharif
Artisan classes and their professions are not affected by a character's religion, or class.
- Race likely won't affect the artisan system. Instead, certain influences may instead be housed in a background selection that isn't intrinsically tied to race.
- One thing we've talked about in the past is replacing the racial abilities with more of a background style, where you get to select your background regardless of race; and so those two aren't tied intrinsically. – Steven Sharif
- Choice of profession does not affect a player's stats.
- Artisan progression does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
Gathering is one of the artisan classes in Ashes of Creation.
- Many of the visible resources (such as Trees and Ore) in the open world are gatherable.
- The exact type of resource present within a resource node is not known until the node is harvested.
- There's a bunch of different things in Ashes that will be gatherable. We have plants and trees and rocks and fish and animals and creatures that can be tamed; and we're thinking to reach the visual fidelity bar and to have things a little bit more rooted in what we know is that it wouldn't really make sense for you to just see gold all over the world in the same way that you would plants and trees; so we wanted to get feedback on what players think about some of the different gatherable types having different things that you would have to know and expect from them. So rocks are a good example of this, where you can see a rock but until you crack that thing open you don't know if it's full of stone, crystals, rubies, gold. So we wanted to try that out with some of our gatherables to have players have to open this thing up- and that's not to say that we players won't stumble on a nice load, or vein, or geode of gold, but most of the stuff that they would they would find to the world, unless they they look hard enough, would require them to crack that stone open. – Kory Rice
- Gathering requires the creation and use of tools.
- Surveying plays a key role in helping gatherers identify resources in particular locations.
- Gathering within a node's Zone of influence (ZOI) will contribute to its experience growth.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting.
- Certain low level gatherables will have a tiered progression into higher level crafting. So for example you know if I'm gathering... leaves of the blue petal flower to craft a pigment that's going to be used in the development of a tunic that I can wear at level one, then I may need to collect those in order to craft the pigments to craft a greater pigment that might be present in the in the crafting of a higher level item. So it's going to be kind of a tiered progression so that materials have relevancy throughout the different levels of of crafting; and that's important from an economic stability standpoint. You need to have layered demand from a supply standpoint so that players who are interested in collecting and gathering those materials still are relevant when the later level items are crafted. – Steven Sharif
Gathering tools (also referred to as harvesting tools) enable the gathering of resources in Ashes of Creation.
- Progression in the gathering artisan class unlocks higher level harvesting tools that enable gathering of higher level resources.
- Artisan progression unlocks higher level surveying tools that enable better identification of gatherable resources within a location.
- Higher level of progression can also speed up gathering times, resource yields, and may allow access to resources at earlier growth stages.
- A gatherer at maximum proficiency will unlock master toolsets that will grant them access to the highest quality gatherables.
- Tools will have durability and lifespans.
- Artisans will not need to rely on other trees in order to make their tools.
- Tools do advance within the artisan tree, so your ability to either gather, process or craft will require the equivalent tools necessary at that stage of crafting in order to accomplish the task at hand. So, you could not mine copper and mithril with the same tool. – Steven Sharif
- The developers are considering the introduction of gathering tools that require two players, such as two-person saws that can fell larger trees.
- Your progression within the profession will take account what tools you can use. There might even be some opportunity to do some gathering with other players that you know. Typically in other games that I play you usually do the gathering alone. You're venturing around alone; and we wanted to take a look at maybe having a friend to help you with a two person saw on a larger tree. Maybe there's some panning that you could do as opposed to just hitting with the pickaxe. So, we'll have other tools that are part of that progression path and other activities that players can do if they would like to gather together. – Kory Rice
Processing is one of the artisan classes in Ashes of Creation.
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Some processing can be carried out in nodes, but the best processing can only be carried out on freeholds at processing stations.
Processing stations are workstations that are used to process raw materials into processed goods (crafting materials) at nodes or on freeholds.
- Processing stations are distinct from workstations, which are used to craft finished goods.
- Blueprints are required for the construction of these freehold buildings.
- The amount of goods that can be processed while unattended by the player is based on the rating of that particular processing station.
- The time spent processing can be reduced by upgrading the capabilities and quality of the processing station via a progression tier system.
- That's going to be very important as you get to very late game processed materials that are required. Because some of these things might have days to process within a station, but if you have spent the time and done the work to advance that processing station you could cut that down considerably, perhaps even greater than 50 percent; and that's going to have a significant impact on your ability to either control markets or to create goods. – Steven Sharif
- There will be a preparatory phase to provide the building with needed fuel or other materials to process the required grade of materials.
- Processing as it stands for Alpha-2's implementation is that there is a certain amount of prep work that's required first for the industry-specific component, which is the building. That prep work might be finding a certain amount of lumber to light the fire in kiln or whatever, to a certain temperature in order for you to process a certain grade of ore; and that grade of ore being malleable then into an ingot; and that produces that ingot so-to-speak. Now, in that process there's a gathering component, there's a preparatory phase, there is a time-related component. – Steven Sharif
- There will also be time-related and gameplay elements that require the player to interact with the processing building. These elements act to throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy.
- There's also possibilities that the machine you're using itself has some type of gameplay layer- should the kiln get overheated, and you have to throw some water on it or something. There are elements there in that process that we want to mimic this gameplay opportunity for players to interact; and not just be a time-sink. But time-sink is also a component of it as well, because that's the throttle for the introduction of processed materials from raw gatherables into the economy. – Steven Sharif
List of processing stations
Crafting is one of the artisan classes in Ashes of Creation. It is a driving force for the game economy.
- Anything that you want to bring into existence in the world is going to be built by players: Whether that is Ships, Siege engines, Weapons, Armor, etc. – Jeffrey Bard
- Crafting requires the acquisition of recipes in order to craft items.
- Crafting stations are located on freeholds or within nodes.
- Higher tier crafting stations are unlocked with node progression.
- Artisan gear will enable crafting of stronger items.
- Crafting times may vary between professions but the bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch.
- The developers will be seeking testing feedback on the addition of a gameplay layer to crafting that determines the outcome based on the player's performance.
- It's unlikely that crafting materials to craft all pieces of equipment will be able to be sourced solely by farming open-world dungeons.
- It's unlikely that organized parties will be able to get all of the materials they need to craft every piece of equipment from farming open world dungeons alone. – Cody Peterson
- There will not be a labor or energy system in Ashes of Creation.
- There is no labor or energy system in Ashes. However, that's not to say that crafting will not be difficult. Crafting is very difficult; but it is because it is difficult that it will be very rewarding as well. – Steven Sharif
- Arcane Engineering
- Armor smithing
- Jewel cutting
- Weapon smithing
Crafting in Ashes of Creation is recipe (blueprint, schematic) based, not RNG based.
- Recipes that are obtained must be committed to a player's recipe book prior to that recipe being able to be used for crafting. This "consumes" the recipe.
- Recipes can be traded or sold prior to them being committed into a player's recipe book.
- Within a crafting recipe, there are dials (based on artisan specialization) that are used to customize crafted items, such as:
I think Star Wars Galaxies had a great crafting system... The resource gathering and the crafting system altogether as a whole really was I think way beyond its time. That's kind of the direction we want to go, where there's choices to be made in the crafting system and those choices change what you end up with... It's not just about doing X recipe to get Y item. You know, there's actually thought involved in it and there is you know a market to be captured based on those decisions. – Jeffrey Bard
The ability for players to create original recipes will not be present in the game at launch, but may be included at some point in the future.
- Crafting does not have mixing and matching (of arbitrary materials) in the manner of animal husbandry.
Crafting stations (also referred to as Crafting benches and Workbenches) are workstations located on freeholds or within nodes.
- Crafting stations relate to specific nodes, areas, or buildings.
- Different tiers of crafting stations represent the quality of the items that can be crafted.
- Higher tier crafting stations are unlocked with node progression.
- Legendary crafting benches are present in the Academy unique building of Metropolis (stage 6) Scientific nodes.
- Upper-tier crafting benches within a node are accessible by its citizens.
- Crafting stations can pull inventory from a player's personal storage and warehouse storage from the node that the crafting station is in.
- Crafting stations are distinct from processing stations, which are used to process raw materials into processed goods (crafting materials) at nodes or on freeholds.
- Q: Can crafting stations be mobilized / moved and can they be placed anywhere in the world?
- A: It depends on the crafting station. There are going to be different tiers of crafting stations that represent the quality of item you're looking to create within that specific profession. There's going to be crafting stations that can be utilized by players within their freeholds and then crafting stations that are resigned only to the development of particular nodes, within particular areas, or particular buildings... There's a wide variety of those things to make it a more dynamic experience and something that caveat how players decide to build the world and what the value of those things are. – Steven Sharif
List of crafting stations
Progression within the artisan tree occurs based on experience (repetition of tasks) as well as achievements of certain benchmarks within each branch (Gathering, Processing and Crafting).
- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is you know crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
- Progression within artisan classes does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
- It is likely that characters will gain an amount of XP as they progress toward mastery of their profession, however it should be expected that some master artisans might be significantly lower than the level cap.
- Q: In regards to character level and artisan level. We know that currently there are two separate things. That being said, what prevents a player from staying level one and partying up with a level 50 player to then gather level 50 resources in the high zones? That way, anyone who wants to take those resources will have to kill the gatherer who is level one and get a large amount of corruption for killing a level one as a level 50.
- A: Gathering higher level resources requires significant advancement within a particular profession for that gatherable resource. So, if I'm a Miner and I want to access the highest possible mineral, I need to be a master miner; and in order to achieve the master minor status I am going to be gaining adventuring level experience through that process, because many of those quest lines, many of those achievements are facilitated through quest lines. Some of those quest lines interface with adventuring difficulties that are out in the wild at certain levels. So that's going to predicate me- that's going to be a predicate for me to achieve a certain level in order to complete some of these quest lines and achieve that master status. So you will you will likely not see the ability of a level one alt character having the access to high level mineral mining, or any other type of gatherable out there. – Steven Sharif
A character may only ever master one of the three parent artisan paths (Gathering, Processing or Crafting).
- That character may then master up to two professions within this mastered path (subject to testing).
- A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
- Players will have the opportunity to dabble in all of the professions at a very beginners level and then you know that gives them an understanding of what that profession feels like and then allows them to pinpoint the direction that they want to go in to master particular professions. – Steven Sharif
- Based on testing, it may be decided to limit profession mastery certificates to a capped value.
- Becoming a master Crafter or a master Processor or a master Gatherer should be a significant time investment and resource investment; and because of that it should also be something that when you achieve that status it's like people on the server know who you are. – Steven Sharif
- Masteries aren’t just about making an item. They grant many things, including titles, access to items, bargains, and quests. 
- Previously it was stated that with considerable effort a player can master all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was later changed to a player being able to master some but not all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was changed to being able to master up to two or three professions within a mastered parent artisan class (subject to testing). The current stance is being able to master up to two professions.
Artisan gear will boost artisans in their gathering, processing, or crafting professions.
- Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an "undergarment" slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
- The developers are planning to have artisan gear sets available for Alpha-2.
- Gear for artisans are going to live alongside your adventuring gear. So you will currently- the approaches, and we'll test this but currently- the approach is you'll have artisanship oriented gear. This might be beneficial for your gathering; it might be beneficial for your processing, or crafting, or whatever it is- your profession. Essentially you will craft that gear, you will equip that gear, it'll live almost as a undergarment slot so to speak; and then you can activate that and it will show the appearance if you wish during the activation when you gain the benefit from the from the gear itself; and then could disappear afterwards and go back to your adventuring gear. That's the current approach. We're going to play with that a little bit. There's some discussion and disagreement on the team about how we do that, but our hopes are for Alpha two, we will have I think a couple of sets at least. We're demonstrating all of the artisanship from gathering to processing to crafting in limited fashion in Alpha 2 want to have that gear present to kind of play with this approach.
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
Artisan classes (Gathering, Processing, Crafting) is expected to come online fully in Alpha-2 and the Betas.
- Approximately 10 percent of the artisan system was online in Alpha-1.
- Crafting honestly will not come online in any sense of its true form until Alpha-2. Alpha-1 has essentially what are intended to be the core gameplay loop of crafting, meaning the collection of materials, the translation of those materials into processed goods, and the use of those processed goods into item acquisition. That's the core gameplay loop that is currently present in Alpha-1. But those are mostly facilitated kind of piggy backing the merchant systems right now and not actually using the real crafting system; and that's because crafting hasn't been completed in a form that can be implemented in Alpha-1, but will be for Alpha-2. What's present in Alpha-1 doesn't even really scratch the surface for crafting. – Steven Sharif
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Livestream, May 24, 2017 (32:07).
- ↑ Podcast, April 11, 2021 (44:29).
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:13:00).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:09:46).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:18:05).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Livestream, August 28, 2020 (2:05:21).
- ↑ Livestream, July 18, 2017 (37:25).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Livestream, April 7, 2023 (1:00:55).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:32:38).
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:31:11).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Video, October 28, 2022 (0:47).
- ↑ Video, October 28, 2022 (12:31).
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Video, October 28, 2022 (9:19).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Livestream, September 3, 2017 (10:48).
- ↑ Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:11:58).
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 19.3 19.4 Interview, March 27, 2020 (9:00).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 20.2 20.3 Interview, May 11, 2018 (38:25).
- ↑ Video, October 28, 2022 (10:52).
- ↑ Livestream, April 29, 2022 (25:16).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Podcast, May 11, 2018 (1:00:07).
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (32:38).
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 Video, October 28, 2022 (25:11).
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Livestream, April 30, 2020 (53:11).
- ↑ Video, October 28, 2022 (26:14).
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 28.2 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:05:58).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 30.2 30.3 Livestream, May 5, 2017 (34:15).
- ↑ 31.0 31.1 31.2 31.3 31.4 31.5 31.6 31.7 Podcast, April 11, 2021 (40:20).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 32.2 32.3 32.4 Livestream, April 7, 2023 (31:49).
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:08:02).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3
- ↑ Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:09:29).
- ↑ 36.0 36.1 36.2 36.3 36.4 Livestream, February 25, 2022 (1:12:27).
- ↑ Livestream, August 17, 2018 (15:14).
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 About Ashes of Creation.
- ↑ Livestream, May 24, 2017 (17:08).
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 41.2 41.3 41.4 Livestream, January 30, 2020 (1:38:26).
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 Livestream, May 12, 2017 (1:00:18).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Interview, July 19, 2020 (6:38).
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 44.2 44.3 44.4 Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:17:34).
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:06:50).
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (35:22).
- ↑ 47.0 47.1 Forums - Livestream Q&A 2022-08-26.
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Interview, October 20, 2018 (2:31:39).
- ↑ Livestream, May 5, 2017 (20:41).
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 Livestream, January 28, 2022 (1:19:48).
- ↑ 52.0 52.1 Interview, February 7, 2021 (37:26).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (5:25).
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 54.2 54.3 54.4 54.5 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (8:22).
- ↑ Livestream, June 4, 2018 (35:11).
- ↑ Interview, February 7, 2021 (38:15).
- ↑ Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- ↑ Podcast, September 29, 2021 (4:43).
- ↑ Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:17:33).
- ↑ Interview, February 7, 2021 (36:38).
- ↑ 61.0 61.1 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).
- ↑ 62.0 62.1 Interview, March 27, 2020 (5:25).
- ↑ Interview, July 20, 2020 (18:47).
- ↑ Interview, July 20, 2020 (20:17).
- ↑ 71.0 71.1 71.2 71.3 71.4 Livestream, May 8, 2017 (20:41).
- ↑ Livestream, July 18, 2017 (38:30).
- ↑ Livestream, May 26, 2017 (26:00).
- ↑ Interview, May 11, 2018 (24:18).
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (42:28).
- ↑ 76.0 76.1 76.2 Interview, February 7, 2021 (35:30).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).