Player to player trading
There will be player to player trading in Ashes of Creation.
- Player to player trading, interacting with vendors or NPCs, and the ability to access storage is disabled for corrupted players.
- Q: Will Ashes of Creation have player-to-player trading? Will there be anything stopping me from gifting a friend that's fresh to the game a bunch of in-game money to help them get on their feet quickly?
- A: There won't be anything to stop you from doing that. – Steven Sharif
Buying and selling
Player stalls, personal shops, and auction houses enable buying from and selling to other players.
|Player stalls||Personal shops||Auction houses|
Player stalls (also called Kiosks and rental stalls) are rentable locations near the unique building in an Economic node or in Marketplaces (the constructible building available for placement by mayors of any Town (stage 4) node or higher).
All nodes do have the ability to spawn player stalls. If you're not an economic node and you don't have a market- that's essentially your unique building- then you can construct essentially what is I guess would be called a... marketplace; and that marketplace will then come with certain services and it will come with a certain number of stalls. The economic node as I recall has the ability to construct an auction house and the auction house serves through the economic means the ability to list and sell items and that comes with additional stalls as well for the players. – Steven Sharif
Renting a player stall enables players to sell items as well as provide repair and enchanting services, even when they are not online.
- Player stalls are rentable by node citizens.
- Player stalls may be utilized for a period of time based on the price paid to rent the stall.
- Player stalls are linked to a player's warehouse.
- Players are not able to be attacked or robbed while occupying their player stall inside the limits of a node.
- Player stalls do not require the attendance of the character or for that character to be online.
- Bulletin boards that list the items available in player stalls can be accessed from anywhere in the region.
- These give the location of the stall so players can travel there and purchase the items.
- Stall sales are also listed in auction houses.
- This may no longer be accurate.
- Players are able to input required items for repair and also purchase required materials for that repair.
- Player stalls may still operate during node siege declaration. This is subject to testing.
Certificates to place Personal shops (player-owned shops) may be purchased by citizens and non-citizens from Economic nodes.
- These certificates allow the placement of a personal shop near the unique building in an economic node or on a freehold.
- Once the economic node has reached metropolis stage, personal shops may be placed anywhere in the world.
- When a character creates a personal shop, a billboard pops up above them with a custom advertisement message for items or services available on that character's person. Purchasers can interact directly with the character to purchase these items or services.
A player shop is where you have a certificate to essentially create a shop with your character and a little billboard will pop up above you as you sit down for that shop and advertise a custom message that you want say that has to sell things and/or services that are on your person. So players can then come up to you and they can interact with you. So you reside yourself to that shop. – Steven Sharif
Auction houses enable players to list items at the Economic node in which the auction house is located.
- A listing fee will be charged to list items in the auction house.
- Vassal nodes of the auction house node will be able to view items that are listed on that auction house, regardless of node type of the vassal node.
- Items listed are also visible in community boards (bulletin boards).
- Integrated auction houses allow players to purchase items directly from remote auction houses.
- Purchases of materials and gatherables will be automatically deposited within the listing node's local warehouse. Players will need to travel to that warehouse to retrieve them. Players wishing to move these items elsewhere will need to utilize the caravan system or other type of transportation.
- Purchases of anything other than materials and gatherables will be mailed to the purchaser.
- There may be a taxation difference between auction houses versus other player businesses.
Data relating to auction houses, such as price history, volumes, average prices, may be available to players via a mayor-constructed service building in their node.
- That's probably how it's going to be surfaced... Your your mayor is going to have to build it for you. – Jeffrey Bard
An escrow system is planned to prevent griefing in the crafting system.
- We're going to have a UI... you're gonna put the resources in or they're gonna put the resources in. It'll be like an escrow system and then once [the job] is complete you'll get the item they'll get the money.
There may be some gear binding (BoE or BoP) but it will be an exception rather than the rule, as this doesn't facilitate the objectives for the economy.
- Very little gear will be account bound or soulbound in Ashes of Creation.
- The game economy is based around crafting and degradation of items.
- Gear is obtained via crafting, gathering and processing along with raid and dungeon bosses.
A lot of what we experienced in games that usually come before us is that many things are account bound and they're soulbound to your character... Instead very little here is character bound. Very very little. The vast majority of gear- yes you will get quest related gear as rewards- but it won't be let's say one set in one dungeon and you must run the dungeon over and over. Instead we want to really emphasize the reliance on the economy and crafters and gatherers and processors to support a majority of the gear structure in-game, combined with that of world raid bosses and dungeon bosses; not a repetitive quest line through a single dungeon. – Steven Sharif
- Raw gatherables and materials are not able to be mailed by players.
- Purchases of anything other than materials and gatherables from integrated auction houses will be mailed to the purchaser.
- Social messages sent via mail will be received instantly.
- It hasn't been decided whether crafted items such as gear will be able to be sent via mail.
- From an item standpoint obviously we can't allow mailing to include any type of resource material or raw gatherable because those are central to the gameplay and transiting through the caravan system and economic regions. But it may be possible to send completed crafted items like you know gear, equipment, stuff like that. But it's something we're still discussing. – Steven Sharif
Nodes advance to the first stage quickly. This enables NPC services such as vending or banking items.
- Banking between characters will likely be restricted to Furniture and completed items.
- A warehouse ability may enable a player to transfer non-material goods between alternate characters. This excludes resources, materials or anything that relies on the caravan system.
Storage points exist at warehouses within nodes and in chests (storage containers) that can be placed in freeholds and static in-node housing.
Player housing storage
Chests are a type of furniture that provides localized storage within a specific house.
- Players must obtain and place storage containers in their player-owned housing.
- Different grades of storage containers have different inventory capacities.
- There are restrictions on the grades of storage containers available in different types of houses.
- Access permissions can be set to allow others to access a player's personal storage devices.
- Personal storage chests may be set to permit access by family or guild members.
- Transfer of resources and materials to alts will only be possible via player housing storage, as this is local to the specific house.
- Players are prohibited from moving goods out of depositories within a node following a siege declaration against that node.
- Gatherables and processed goods that were stored in in-node housing and apartment storage chests become lootable upon a successful siege against the parent node. These do not become lootable if the node survives the siege- even if the housing buildings are destroyed or damaged during the siege.
- Corrupt players are able to utilize private storage in their Freeholds.
- Personal caravans may be launched from any point of storage (including chests).
Security systems will be in place to combat cheating, exploiting, botting, gold selling/real money transactions (RMT), item duplication and other things that affect the economy starting from Alpha-0.
- These systems collect user data and flag abnormal activities for investigation. This combined with player reporting functions generates a live "heat map" that draws attention to unusual behavior.
- We do have already built into the game on the outset is essentially behavioral metrics. So in the game, as a player does normal things and they acquire normal gold, that's all good and well, but if there starts to be item IDs that appear on the player account that are out of the norm, like either a large amount of gold, or significant legendary items, what it does in the back-end it flags the account for view so that we can take a look at where did this item come from. Is it coming from a known gold seller or a flagged bot, or whatever; and then we investigate. So we're going to be pretty hard on the ability for players to subvert the natural economy systems by RMT or botting. – Steven Sharif
- Botters, cheaters, gold sellers, and RMTers, will face harsh penalties from the active GM/community team.
- It's important to note that there is a sanctity that must be protected within the game from RMTing; and let me just go into a little diatribe about this: But in games that I've played where the company or the publisher does not enforce rules, it becomes the standard that you buy gold if you want to be competitive. If you want to compete at the top tier levels in certain games, and everyone's buying gold, you almost either have to buy the gold or you're just not going to be able to compete with those people and that's a really shitty feeling to have. Excuse my French, I apologize. That is sucky; and in order for that not to be the case it is the responsibility of the publisher or the developers both to make sure that we have stringent practices from a CS- from a customer customer service perspective- to enforce our rules and to make sure that players are aware if they partake in this there is a huge risk in doing so. It's not going to be a slap on the hand. It's not going to be a "we told you once, we told you twice, we told you three, four, five six times okay. We're just taking some gold away", that kind of thing. We have got to ensure that it is feared to do those things because you know that ashes has active GMS, it has active customer service, it has an active community team. – Steven Sharif
Node governments can enter into trade agreements with other nodes. Each node entering into the agreement can designate caravans with materials to be sent to the other; improving the economy of both nodes. This gives experience to all involved, contributes to the node’s growth and helps to construct buildings.
Mercenary guilds will be a viable way forward for different organizations. I think there will be a lot of business to be had with that; and one of the systems in our trade agreements is creating an escrow for those particular type of arrangements that we're looking into. – Steven Sharif
Trade routes in Ashes of Creation refer to.
- Roads for the transit goods via the caravan system.
- You might have a mountain pass and during winter that mountain pass is always closed and so the trade routes on land change with caravans and that's something that can not only exist on a cyclical level but also dynamically based on player activity.
- Economic relationships between nodes established by Mayors or node citizens.
- Agreements are established to trade commodities that are unique to particular nodes or node types via NPC-driven caravans.
- From a diplomatic standpoint the ability for the mayor or citizens to set up NPC routed trade routes between nodes as a trade agreement or as a diplomatic process. – Steven Sharif
The caravan system is an open world PvP system that revolves around opportunity and risk. Caravans facilitate the transfer of goods for players wishing to turn a profit.
- Caravans are for the transfer of personal goods, supplies for castles and nodes, as well as quests.
- Caravans are initiated from and arrive at caravanserai node buildings within Village (stage 3) nodes and above.
There are different types of Caravans in Ashes of Creation.
The caravan system is another very big part of the node system. They are the main driver of economic activity and there is a bunch of different types of caravan. – Jeffrey Bard
Naval caravans (also referred to as raft caravans) allow the transportation of trading goods.
- Unlike merchant ships, naval caravans are capable of transitioning to and from land caravans at the point of intersection of land and ocean.
- Naval caravans come in varying sizes and capacities.
- By default naval caravans have a racial appearance. Players will be able to apply caravan skins to change this appearance.
- ↑ Ashes of Creation - The visuals.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Livestream, May 15, 2017 (10:32).
- ↑ Livestream, January 18, 2018 (46:56).
- ↑ Livestream, February 24, 2023 (1:12:24).
- ↑ Livestream, October 28, 2022 (24:28).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:14:49).
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (16:36).
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4
- ↑ 10.00 10.01 10.02 10.03 10.04 10.05 10.06 10.07 10.08 10.09 10.10 Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:34:06).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 Livestream, October 16, 2017 (59:39).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 12.3 12.4 12.5
- ↑ 13.00 13.01 13.02 13.03 13.04 13.05 13.06 13.07 13.08 13.09 13.10 13.11 Livestream, May 30, 2019 (1:26:16).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Interview, July 8, 2020 (55:05).
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:03:52).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 17.4 17.5 Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:04:59).
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 18.3 18.4
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 19.2 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (35:16).
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 Interview, July 8, 2020 (57:46).
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Livestream, April 30, 2020 (1:14:44).
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 Ashes of Creation Instagram, 2020-08-19.
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:00:57).
- ↑ Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:06:09).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Store: Confectioner’s Delight.
- ↑ Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:04:49).
- ↑ 29.0 29.1 Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:15:03).
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 Livestream, May 10, 2017 (32:22).
- ↑ Livestream, May 15, 2017 (13:06).
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Interview, July 18, 2020 (52:57).
- ↑ 33.0 33.1 33.2 Interview, August 24, 2018 (4:15).
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:14:53).
- ↑ Video, September 6, 2018 (3:53).
- ↑ Livestream, July 9, 2018 (50:16).
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Livestream, June 28, 2019 (1:23:31).
- ↑ Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (23:18).
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (41:45).
- ↑ Interview, December 6, 2018 (20:30).
- ↑ Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Livestream, June 25, 2021 (22:34).
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 44.2 Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:14:33).
- ↑ 45.0 45.1 45.2 45.3 Video, May 31, 2020 (47:32).
- ↑ Livestream, August 17, 2018 (10:54).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2021 (1:12:33).
- ↑ 48.0 48.1 Livestream, June 26, 2020 (51:58).
- ↑ 51.0 51.1 51.2 Interview, July 19, 2020 (1:12:37).
- ↑ Livestream, November 17, 2017 (38:35).
- ↑ Massively OP, 2017-06-1
- ↑ 54.0 54.1 54.2 Livestream, February 9, 2018 (20:40).
- ↑ 55.0 55.1 Livestream, August 26, 2022 (1:32:45).
- ↑ City hall.
- ↑ Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (18:59).
- ↑ 58.0 58.1 58.2 58.3 58.4 58.5 Video, July 15, 2019 (2:12).
- ↑ 59.0 59.1 59.2 59.3 Podcast, September 29, 2021 (8:38).
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 Video, May 27, 2022 (17:15).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (30:53).
- ↑ Kickstarter - We Just Broke $1,500,000!
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:03:35).
- ↑ 64.0 64.1 About Ashes of Creation.
- ↑ Video, July 16, 2019 (0:00).
- ↑ Livestream, May 15, 2017 (45:20).
- ↑ 67.0 67.1 67.2 67.3 Livestream, August 26, 2022 (1:20:17).
- ↑ 68.0 68.1 Livestream, July 29, 2022 (3:21).
- ↑ Interview, May 11, 2018 (28:21).
- ↑ Interview, January 20, 2017 (4:19).
- ↑ Ashes of Creation Store: Ramstone Hauler.
- ↑ 72.0 72.1 72.2 Livestream, July 28, 2017 (19:43).
- ↑ Livestream, April 30, 2020 (56:58).
- ↑ 74.0 74.1 74.2 74.3 Livestream, April 30, 2020 (58:05).
- ↑ 75.0 75.1 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (15:46).
- ↑ Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:28:38).