- Heavy armor typically has more HP than lighter armor.
- Heavy armor is geared towards physical damage mitigation.
List of plate armor
|Ethereal Plate Gauntlets||Gloves||Rare||1||Etherial|
|Ethereal Plate Spaulders||Shoulders||Rare||1||Etherial|
|Faded Breastplate||Chest armor||Poor||2||Faded|
|Faded Plate Boots||Boots||Poor||2||Faded|
|Imposing Plate Belt||Belt||Rare||9||Imposing|
|Plate Belt of Dragons Protection||Belt||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Boots of Dragons Protection||Boots||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Cussies of Dragons Protection||Pants||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Plate Gauntlets of Dragons Protection||Gloves||Legendary||15||Dragon's Protection|
|Refurbished Plate Boots||Boots||Uncommon||8||Refurbished|
|Refurbished Plate Gauntlets||Gloves||Common||7||Refurbished|
|Transcendent Plate Helm||Helmet||Legendary||15||Transcendent|
|Worn Breastplate||Chest armor||Common||1||Worn|
|Worn Plate Boots||Boots||Common||1||Worn|
|Worn Plate Cuisses||Pants||Common||1||Worn|
|Worn Plate Helmet||Helmet||Common||1||Worn|
|Worn Plate Vambrace||Wrists||Common||1||Worn|
- Stat values will be predominately the same but may be able to be adjusted by crafters who are capable with that type of armor.
- The stat values on armor can include both damage dealing and damage mitigation stats.
- Certain armor types are going to have certain type of predominant stat values. So there's going to be certain waterfall stats and/or certain primary attributes that are available on certain armor types; and then if you want to have the one that's not more prominently available- those will be rare to get- you'll have to elicit the services of a crafter who's very capable within that particular type of armor in order to get the non-traditional stats and/or waterfalls available. So there's still the ability to get whatever on these but they're going to be more predetermined for certain types of stats and waterfalls. – Steven Sharif
- Set bonuses are granted to wearers of exclusively one "type" of armor, for example: all cloth, or all plate.
- There'll be certain types of set bonuses granted across specific full sets or partial sets of armor types. There will be a similar function in how damage is mitigated based on the type of armor you're wearing and how that relates to physical or magical incoming damage. So that's something to keep in mind. It's going to be situational what type of adversarial foe am I facing and what armor is the best against that to mitigate damage. – Steven Sharif
- The "type" of armor (cloth, leather, plate) a character is predominantly wearing is visible in their nameplate.
- You're going to have certain strengths and weaknesses of armor sets and those can be specced into by your opponents. For example, I might place some type of elemental enhancements on my weapon that horizontally changes my outgoing damage and that's going to reflect based on the opponent on my target opponent and what type of armor they have available to them to counter that. – Steven Sharif
- Itemization choice may potentially play into universal skill sets such as Dodge, Parry, and Active blocking.
- We're playing a little bit with the idea of these universal skill sets, such as dodge, parry, block, active blocking, stuff like that; and progression within those areas. There is something to be said I think for incorporating itemization choice as part of that system as well; and how it might affect that system. That's something that I think is going to be coming up in the pitch phase here shortly from design as we implement those universal skills. So you can look out in the future for more information on that. – Steven Sharif
Class weapons and armor
- Weapons are intended to be somewhat agnostic in the sense that you can find a way for a weapon to be utilized by different classes. Not just the rogue is going to be able to use daggers. Because if you restrict equipment through that, it makes the economy more difficult to have sustainability across the market of items. – Steven Sharif
- Q: We had stated that we were going to allow people to use any class combination, which would be both your archetypes together, being able to use any weapon. Do we see problems that could occur with that, for instance like a bow tank, or an orb tank or things like- will there be some strangeness there, or are there problems that you first are foreseeing in the future?
- A: We're giving a lot of flexibility to the crafters in our game. They get to help define the stat block that a particular item, weapon, or gear has; and that stat block can be relevant to any particular class or archetype combination. So in that sense the idea is, no not to see any strangeness there or not to see any elements that would dissuade a person from that customization perspective. – Steven Sharif
Racial weapons and armor
- The customization of equipment per race is really focused on Armor sets not Weapon props. Weapon props will, from a model standpoint, will translate pretty one-to-one across the races. – Steven Sharif
- Racial appearance of gear is focused on Armor. Weapons will not change in appearance but will scale in size based on race.
- Let's say for example you have the Eagle set or something, right: The Eagle set has in art, it has a thematic design that's going to include certain attachments to the armor. It's going to include color palette and theme. It's going to have some aspects to it that define it as the Eagle set, right. When a Elf wears the Eagle set or when an Orc wears the Eagle set, you obviously have two different cultures there; and you don't want to stomp out that culture by assigning a de facto 'This is the Eagle set and this is how it looks on everybody.' What we want to have is cultural influences play a role in showing how that set looks. – Steven Sharif
- When you say, what if I'm an Orc but want to look like an Elf and I want my Eagle set to be the Elf representation? Well the issue becomes there that Orcs have a different organic model. You know, their body is different than that of the Elf. So, from a scope-creep standpoint, it's one thing to add different influences that represent the cultures that are donning the armor; it's another thing to adapt each influence as a matrix that can be worn pretty much by everything. From a scope perspective, that's a very difficult task for the character artists to tackle. So instead what we've done is, in order to facilitate a variety of cultural representation between the races but allow for the sharing of assets like different armor sets, we give different representations of those armor sets to each race. – Steven Sharif
- There will not be "oversized" weapons.
- Armor will not be overly sexual in appearance.
- I'm more of the mind that it wouldn't really serve a purpose to have bikini plate armor, just in like reality, if you're going to have armor, it should be protective. I think from a fashion statement is enjoyable for some people, but it's a an immersive issue. – Steven Sharif
- Some armor and costumes will be more revealing than others, but there will not be nudity in the game.
Each race is getting its custom geo pieces, which then will share thematic components such as color palette, attachments, design filigree. Those types of things will get shared across the geo but generally you're going to see unique races with unique geo. – Steven Sharif
- Cosmetics can be used by all races but there may be slight variations to make them work with the body builds of each race.
- There are rules when applying cosmetics to specific items, unlike costumes, which don't have level restrictions.
- Cosmetic slots can be toggled on or off on their character by the player.
- A "default player appearance" may be automatically applied during sieges or other large scale battles to improve client-side performance.
- Cosmetics, whether purchased from the shop or earned in game, are an important component of MMORPGS I personally enjoy; and there's a lot of collectors out there who spend a great deal of time either in-game achieving these things or spend money purchasing them from the cosmetic only marketplace; and we don't want to demean or reduce that achievement or that expenditure. So it's going to be situational where the default appearance will be applied and can be activated. – Steven Sharif
- Q: How often will armor be part of an entire armor set with other cosmetically matching pieces versus unique armor pieces that don't match or go along with anything else in the game?
- A: There is a balance of both set pieces and non-set pieces and usually you're going to see at higher grades within a tier are going to be more predominantly set driven; and the lower interstitial power levels of the gear for that tier are the potentially bespoke pieces; and obviously those pieces are catered around a number of different interactions, such as ones you get from quests, ones that you get from drops, ones that you can craft, ones that you get from legendary bosses, ones that you get from guild-oriented tasks, or in-game favor and unique currencies. So there's different types of acquisition models and each of them has a spattering of either bespoke pieces or set-oriented pieces; and there are even varying levels of set pieces as well. So you might have a full eight piece set, or a three-piece set, or a five piece set, depending on where it lives within the tier. – Steven Sharif
- Players gain bonuses depending on the number and tier of pieces they have equipped.
- It will be possible to store and swap gear loadouts with a single button press when out of combat.
- Approximately 49 unique gear sets were obtainable in Alpha-1 from crafting, quests, drops and exploration. These were unique sets with different stats, but some may be similar in appearance.
- Certain set bonuses may trade off core gear stats.
- There are passive abilities that can be chosen to become more adept with certain set types.
- There will be viable non-set builds.
- Crafted items are best-in-slot in Ashes of Creation. Previously it was stated that crafted items will be on-par with best-in-slot items.
- Instanced content will contain scripted and difficult boss fights that drop gear, but the gear drops will not be best-in-slot. These can only be found in the open world.
- Chest armor.
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:07:03).
- Livestream, October 16, 2017 (15:11).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (53:10).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:02:44).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:17:32).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (52:58).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (1:02:08).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (53:08).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:38:34).
- Livestream, May 4, 2018 (45:37).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (47:05).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (55:31).
- Video, September 30, 2020 (2:44).
- Livestream, September 30, 2020 (47:47).
- Livestream, July 26, 2019 (54:06).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (4:57).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (44:11).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (20:46).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (53:43).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:41:06).
- Podcast, August 4, 2018 (55:17).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (50:20).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (19:51).
- Reddit Q&A, 2019-01-8.
- Livestream, December 23, 2021 (1:34:07).
- Livestream, September 24, 2021 (1:25:27).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (54:56).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (9:47).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:13:22).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (1:05:22).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (24:19).
- Livestream, September 3, 2017 (48:56).
- Livestream, May 31, 2023 (58:37).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (5:28).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (22:33).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (57:50).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (50:29).
- Livestream, July 25, 2020 (54:10).
- Livestream, November 22, 2019 (1:08:05).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:30:40).
- Video, January 27, 2023 (45:46).
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (54:29).
- Livestream, July 28, 2023 (1:22:48).
- Interview, September 10, 2023 (47:13).
- Livestream, February 24, 2023 (46:15).
- Livestream, November 19, 2021 (40:53).
- Livestream, April 30, 2021 (41:18).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (56:07).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (1:43:38).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (1:33:11).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:18:55).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (14:45).
- Livestream, March 31, 2022 (1:19:41).
- Steven Sharif Twitter.
- Livestream, January 28, 2022 (56:12).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (7:31).
- Livestream, February 9, 2018 (15:01).
- Livestream, July 28, 2017 (31:30).