- Players will be able to identify the type of a node at its first stage of development (Expedition) based on its NPC population.
|Divine nodes||Faith and skill/equipment augment focuses||Priests|
|Economic nodes||Trade and merchant focuses||Merchants|
|Military nodes||Combat and class training focuses||Guards|
|Scientific nodes||Artisan and construction focuses||Scholars|
Ashes of Creation allows you, the player, to decide the fate of the world around you. With each Node Type, you can change the flow of resources and goods in the world. Will you grow the largest Economic Metropolis and help guide the riches of Verra, or will you choose another path unlocking new stories filled with allies and enemies?
For example, if a level 4 Scientific Node is destroyed, it will become a Level 0 Scientific Node. It will never be any other Node Type other than a Scientific Node. The location of these Types relates to the influences of the area around the Node. – Margaret Krohn
Beta testing will require that the node types be definitive; and that's because of how node types are integrated into the relating and corresponding neighboring points of interest and those quest lines. So it's not something we can swap very easily. – Steven Sharif
Divine node benefits
Divine nodes at Metropolis (stage 6) may unlock a procedurally built "mega catacomb" dungeon beneath it that connects to its divine vassal nodes. These may house unique bosses with unique drop tables.
Economic node benefits
- Up to two economic metropolises may be linked in this manner.
- Metropolis level economic nodes enable worldwide sale prices for auction houses across Verra.
- Items listed in one linked economic node can be bid on from any other linked economic node.
- Linked economies also connect the economic metropolis and its vassal economic nodes.
Economic Nodes that have reached the Metropolis Stage unlock the Superpower “Linked Economy”. Any Economic Node with this Superpower unlocked shares Auction House listings with all the others, meaning that the items listed in one Linked Economy Node can be bid on from any other Linked Economy Node. Linked Economies also connect a Metropolis and any Vassal Economic Nodes belonging to that Metropolis.
The Linked Economy Superpower has the potential to create a massive market that spans the world. This will allow players to attain and sell goods with ease, providing those who have access to these Economic Nodes a faster path to fortune in the lands of Ashes of Creation.
Military node benefits
Scientific node benefits
- Citizens of metropolis scientific nodes may teleport between the metropolis and any of its vassal nodes, regardless of the stage of the vassal node, so long as the vassal node is not at war.
- Citizens of vassal nodes may teleport to their metropolis node and back.
- If there are multiple scientific metropolises, then an airship will provide faster travel between those scientific metropolises for citizens of those nodes and their vassal nodes, so long as the metropolises are not at war.
This will allow Citizens and Vassals of Scientific Metropolises to do things more quickly than others, as fast travel is limited in the world of Ashes of Creation. They’ll be able to exchange goods and information with ease and get to locations in the world at a quicker speed in order to gather crafting materials to create recipes, as well as participate in limited-time events.
- This cooldown period allows players to establish citizenship at the village; which may require them to relinquish previous citizenship at another node.
- Following the initial cooldown, there will be a one week election process, then from that point on, elections will follow a monthly cadence.
- Node sieges may not be declared for 21 days following a node advancing to any stage.
The village stage is a unique stage because that's when the government system comes online and all other stages past village there will have already been a cadence for the election system and it will follow that cadence, but after the initial village stage is completed there will be a one week period where players have an opportunity to establish citizenship at the village that also provides for the cooldown time that is- that would be present on players leaving another node to kind of participate in in this particular node leveling up. But that after that one week period then there will be a one-week election process and then from that point moving forward will be the one month cadence that the node experiences elections on. – Steven Sharif
- Election notices will be mailed to the accounts of citizens.
- Only citizens of a node may participate in its elections.
- Only node citizens may be elected mayor.
- A king or queen can also become a mayor.
- Divine node governments are chosen from citizens via service oriented quests that prove faith and dedication to the node.
- Most of the devotion-oriented tasks are going to be on an individual basis and won't utilize outside support.
- Economic node governments are able to be bought and sold by citizens with the most money.
- Mayors of military nodes are chosen from citizens through last man standing (gladiatorial arena style) combat.
- An idea currently under consideration is to have players build out a champion that they can then fight in the arena, rather then using their regular characters. These champions can be equipped with gear and skills via quests, along with materials and gold to make the champion stronger.
- The reason for the champion idea is because the game isn't balanced for 1v1 PvP. Utilizing champions makes arena combat more of a level playing ground.
- Arena style combat is instanced but spectators may be possible through an interface.
- The winner of the combat can not transfer the mayoralty to another player.
- Scientific node governments are elected democratically. Records of who voted for who are not published.
Unique node buildings
Each node type has a unique node building associated with it that can be activated at the Village stage of node advancement. The unique building plays a central role in the progress of civilization for a server.
- Divine nodes
- Economic nodes
- Military nodes
- Scientific nodes
- Livestream, May 4, 2017 (15:15).
- Blog - Know Your Nodes - The Basics.
- Know Your Nodes: Economic Node Type.
- Livestream, August 27, 2021 (1:19:43).
- Blog: Creative Director's Letter
- Interview, June 13, 2021 (56:35).
- MMOGames interview, January 2017
- Blog: Know Your Nodes - Scientific Node Type
- Livestream, March 28, 2020 (1:01:34).
- Interview, March 27, 2020 (6:03).
- Livestream, October 30, 2020 (1:01:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (50:05).
- Node series part II – the Metropolis.
- Interview, July 19, 2020 (26:54).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:18:26).
- Livestream, November 19, 2021 (51:56).
- Podcast, May 11, 2018 (52:20).
- Interview, March 27, 2020 (09:05).
- Interview, March 27, 2020 (11:04).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:17:20).
- Livestream, September 1, 2018 (36:28).