Materials (also known as processed goods and crafting materials) are obtained in the following ways:
Types of crafting materials
Many end level items with crafting will require mats from world bosses etc. we want those systems intertwined. However. There may be opportunities to deconstruct high level items and replace those needed materials as well. We will be testing the crafting trees in alpha and beta. – Steven Sharif
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Each processing profession has four processing stations that unlock as players progress.
- Processing involves the refining of raw materials obtained from gathering and item deconstruction.
- The bulk of the time spent in the artisan system resides in the processing branch. The processing time varies based on the quality of the processed goods.
- Some processing can be carried out in nodes, but the best processing can only be carried out on freeholds at processing stations.
- The intent is that there are also public spaces where animal husbandry and farming can be utilized... Those systems provide opportunities for players who might be more solo-oriented, aren't a part of a family, don't think they'll be able to acquire a freehold, but still want to participate with those particular particular types of professions. But they may not do it at a mastery level as a result; but they'll still have access to lower-tier versions of that so that they can progress through that particular profession up to a degree. – Steven Sharif
- Livestream, May 5, 2017 (34:15).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (1:16:05).
- Interview, October 20, 2018 (17:31).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:07:33).
- Podcast, May 5, 2017 (43:05).
- Interview, July 18, 2020 (27:11).
- Interview, July 20, 2020 (20:17).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (24:18).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (33:26).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Podcast, April 11, 2021 (40:20).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (31:49).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:08:02).
- Video, June 30, 2023 (16:02).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (51:26).