Food and drink
Food and drink in Ashes of Creation will provide benefits (buffs) based on the type of consumable.
- The higher quality the food item, the greater duration of the buffs.
- Food buffs can be increased through the furniture system.
- For example if you have a completed dish and you process that dish inside of let's say an oven that has to be constructed and placed within a certain grade home, you can increase the effects. – Steven Sharif
- Food buffs can also be proximity-based, such as with tavern consumables.
Ashes of Creation is not a survival game. Characters will not need to eat food to stay alive.
Players will be able to buy food and drink from a Tavern, some of which will be supplied by the tavern owner or other patrons that they get their menu from. These consumables will offer tangible benefits to players that stay within a certain proximity of the tavern itself.
If a player chooses to construct a tavern or a business on their freehold, they can offer food through that tavern and players who are visiting the area doing hunting quests can visit the tavern, eat food if it's available, and they will receive a buff that is proximity based essentially if they hunt around that person's business... Additionally that business can be upgraded through the access of additional blueprints as well as resources that need to be then poured into the building; and if they do so that proximity radius expands. – Steven Sharif
Characters will have some agency over what consumables are available in taverns. This could be tied to supply quests or available resources within the region.
Characters will have a defined region of agency over what is available in the different taverns, whether they be taverns located within the city or taverns located on a freehold; and those could be tied to supply quests that are then done by the players. They could also be regionally determined by availability of resources. – Steven Sharif
If you're a tavern over on the western side you might have different grains, spices and mead there; and over on the other side of the world there might be taverns with completely different things. – Jeffrey Bard
Cooking is a processing profession in Ashes of Creation.
To make cooking relevant, all food needs to do something. – Peter Pilone
Recipes are discovered and can be combined to create unique dishes.
- Recipes will include Verran and Sanctus ingredients and cuisine as well as familiar dishes and recipes.
You'll be able to take the items that you cook and you will be able to place them in a business should you choose. – Steven Sharif
Crafted furniture may contain bonuses based on the quality and grade of the furniture.
- For example: A cook using a higher grade stovetop will be able to create food items with improved stats, such as an increased freshness period.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Livestream, May 24, 2017 (15:19).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Livestream, July 25, 2020 (1:01:07).
- ↑ Livestream, October 29, 2021 (1:07:55).
- ↑ Livestream, August 17, 2018 (16:00).
- ↑ 2019-11-26 Blog: Bear the Burden
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Livestream, January 29, 2021 (1:11:29).
- ↑ Livestream, June 4, 2018 (14:13).
- ↑ The mighty beard!
- ↑ Livestream, January 18, 2018 (27:33).
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Livestream, January 18, 2018 (27:31).
- ↑ 12.0 12.1
- ↑ Livestream, October 14, 2022 (32:38).
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (6:13).
- ↑ Livestream, May 17, 2017 (46:05).
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Interview, July 8, 2020 (43:42).