- Bear McCreary's music will be unveiled in Beta-1.
- Node types will be definitive (finalized).
- A first-time user experience system is expected to be implemented during the beta testing phase.
- Beta testing of Ashes of Creation will be closed.
Beta release schedule
|Beta||Beta-1.||To be announced.|
|Beta-2.||To be announced.|
- Alpha-2 testing prior to the full release of Alpha-2 will be under NDA.
- Alpha-1 testing prior to the full release of Alpha-1 was covered by NDA.
- The developers will not necessarily announce when NDA testing starts.
- We may not always announce when the NDA testing is, because we're not definitive how that testing is going to influence the future testing schedule; and we don't want to set the wrong expectation from a broader audience perspective on what they should be expecting with regards to testing. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-0 was the invite-only "raffle" friends and family alpha test phase.
- Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 were available for purchase during the Kickstarter and Summer crowdfunding campaigns.
- Alpha-1 was available in the Intrepid pre-order pack and the Adventurer pre-order pack.
- Alpha-2 and Beta-2 were available during PAX West 2017.
- Alpha-2, Beta-1, and Beta-2 are currently available in Pre-order packs on the cosmetic store.
Ashes of Creation's core game systems are expected to be in place at the start of Alpha-2. By the end of Alpha-2, the game is expected to be feature complete, but it will not be content complete until launch.
- Alpha-1 and Alpha-2 testers may be invited to participate in spot testing prior to the Alpha-2 release.
- The game will be feature complete before Beta... Beta really is intended to identify last minute bugs to make sure that everything is ready for launch; it's important that all features are complete by Beta-1. Alpha-2 will not be feature complete at the start of Alpha-2. There are going to be updates that are going to be incorporated as part of the Alpha-2 process and there are going to be additional features that come online that get fleshed out between that time and Beta-1. There's going to be regions of the maps that aren't going to be accessible of course during Alpha-2. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-2 is intended to exist up until launch. There's going to be different testing periods that we will be releasing either new content locations or zones or systems that we want to have players focus in on. In those situations, if we're having participation drought because of the length of Alpha-2, we can set them up in a more focused setting. We can even incentivize that. We can offer unique testing to potentially new testers as well. – Steven Sharif
- Wayfarer pre-order pack (History).
- Expeditionary pre-order pack (History).
- Voyager pre-order pack (History).
- Voyager plus pre-order pack (History).
We offer cosmetics for players who wish to support the project early. The exclusive nature of the limited availability is something I think collectors value. If you buy cosmetics as an MMO player, I know I enjoyed if the cosmetic is rare and not every girl at the party is wearing the same dress. In addition, these cosmetics are used to populate the world through NPC variants and color/texture changes so their offering aligns with our production schedule. The good thing about these packs is they contain no P2W advantages and there is no box cost, so from a mechanics standpoint you do not need to buy them to excel in the game on launch. And also, there are comparable and subjectively more grand cosmetics achievable in game as well. – Steven Sharif
- Alpha-0 had over 2,500 participants.
- Alpha-1 testing had approximately 9,600 participants as of August, 2018. There were slightly over 13k participants as of May 31, 2021. There were 5,300 unique logins during the 3 day weekend test of May 27, 2021.
- Alpha and Beta participation is expected to grow with the sale of pre-order packs.
- Alpha-2 is expected to have over 100,000 participants.
|December 2015||First team members were hired.|
|February 2016||Ashes of Creation design documentation and prototyping.|
|December 10, 2016||Official website was launched and project announced.|
|January 18, 2017||Official discord was launched.|
|May 2, 2017||Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign launched with $750,000 funding goal.|
|June 3, 2017||Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign completed with 19,576 backers raising $3,271,809.|
|June 2017||Game production began with a team size of 15-20.|
|June 21, 2017||Summer crowdfunding campaign launched.|
|July 22, 2017||Summer crowdfunding campaign completed with 2,485 backers.|
|September 1, 2017||PAX West 2017.|
|November 4, 2017||Raised $16,500 for Extra Life children's hospitals.|
|December 15, 2017||Alpha-0 released on schedule.|
|March 19-23, 2018||Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2018.|
|April 5, 2018||PAX East 2018.|
|August 15, 2018||Last day for purchases of Alpha-1 through Intrepid pre-order packs.|
|August 20, 2018||At Gamescom with My.com.|
|August 27, 2018||100 developers working on Ashes of Creation.|
|September 1, 2018||PAX West 2018 panel.|
|October 19, 2018||Ashes of Creation Apocalypse battle royale (previously called Alpha-1 phase 1 battlegrounds).|
|November 4, 2018||Raised $20,518 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|April 15, 2019||60 developers working on Ashes of Creation at San Diego offices (following disengagement with Malaysian art team).|
|November 3, 2019||Raised $20,901 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|August 21, 2020||Announced a mutual parting of ways with publisher My.games.|
|October 17, 2020||Almost 3,000,000 registered accounts for Ashes of Creation.|
|October 17, 2020||~87 developers working on Ashes of Creation.|
|November 8, 2020||Raised $88,546 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|February 26, 2021||Official ashesofcreation.com website redesign.|
|May 5, 2021||Alpha-1 sales resumed with the announcement of the Adventurer pre-order pack.|
|May 17, 2021||Verbal NDA was lifted from Alpha-1 testing.|
|July 9, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA preview weekend began on schedule.|
|July 11, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA preview weekend completed on schedule.|
|July 14, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA month long test began on schedule.|
|August 15, 2021||Alpha-1 no-NDA month long test completed on schedule.|
|November 7, 2021||Raised $34,485 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|December 23, 2021||Announced that Ashes of Creation is moving to Unreal Engine 5.|
|January 14, 2022||Over 120 people working on Ashes of Creation.|
|November 5, 2022||Raised $77,939 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
|August 31, 2023||Over 150 people working on Ashes of Creation.|
|November 5, 2023||Raised $76,964 for Rady Children's hospital with Extra Life.|
- Kickstarter's most funded MMORPG.
- Kickstarter's #7 most funded video game.
- Most anticipated MMO – MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards.
- Most anticipated early access hands-on MMORPG – MMOs World.
- Gamescom 2018: Best Independent game.
- Gamescom 2018: Best Online game.
- Best indie MMO of 2020 – massivelyop.com reader's poll.
- Most anticipated MMO of 2021 and beyond – massivelyop.com reader's poll.
- Top 10 Best Upcoming New MMORPGs For 2021 And Beyond – Forbes.
- 2022 Best MMO Studio – MMOGames.
- Livestream, October 31, 2018 (57:22).
- Livestream, July 29, 2022 (1:08:49).
- Livestream, August 27, 2021 (1:19:43).
- Livestream, November 30, 2023 (1:51:22).
- Livestream, 2018-04-8 (AM) (6:39).
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (49:26).
- Livestream, September 29, 2023 (55:34).
- Livestream, May 29, 2020 (31:37).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (26:35).
- Kickstarter packages.
- MMOGAMES Interview, 2017-09-8.
- Intrepid pre-order pack.
- Adventurer pre-order pack.
- PAX West 2017 Alpha package.
- PAX West 2017 Beta package.
- Ashes of Creation cosmetic store.
- Livestream, March 31, 2023 (1:24:21).
- Podcast, September 29, 2021 (59:29).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (28:08).
- Livestream, March 31, 2023 (5:57).
- Livestream, July 30, 2021 (45:11).
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (25:22).
- Interview, August 24, 2018 (12:18).
- Livestream, August 17, 2018 (24:07).
- Livestream, November 17, 2017 (28:50).
- Livestream, January 27, 2023 (11:05).
- Alpha one test schedule, Mar 12, 2021.
- Livestream, November 30, 2020 (7:27).
- MASSIVELY OP interview: Ashes of Creation on a new way to MMO.
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter campaign
- Ashes of Creation Kickstarter.
- PAX West 2017 Schedule.
- PAX West 2017 Map.
- Intrepid Studios Dev Team.
- Livestream, January 18, 2018 (2:48).
- Ashes of Creation Gamescom 2018 Interview: Responding to Criticism.
- Intrepid Studios Extra Life 2018 (@MediaAoC).
- Interview, April 15, 2019 (5:09).
- Blog: New Adventure Awaits.
- Interview, October 17, 2020 (18:36).
- Interview, October 17, 2020 (56:55).
- Livestream, February 26, 2021 (9:51).
- Ashes of Creation Store: May cosmetics.
- Ashes of Creation Twitter - Alpha-1 Preview Weekend Begins
- Guide to Alpha One.
- Video, December 23, 2021 (0:00).
- Livestream, December 23, 2021 (19:59).
- Interview, January 14, 2022 (9:11).
- Livestream, August 31, 2023 (2:16:45).
- MMORPG.com's Best of 2017 Awards.
- Most Anticipated MMORPGs For 2018.
- DualShockers’ Gamescom 2018 Awards
- MassivelyOP 2020 awards reader's poll.
- MassivelyOP reader's poll.
- Forbes: Top 10 Best Upcoming New MMORPGs For 2021 And Beyond
- Twitter - MMOGames.