- Choosing a specific path in the skill tree allows the player an opportunity to specialize in a certain area. This encourages player inter-dependency, enhancing the artisan experience.
- When we reference not being masters of all that doesn't mean you're not a master within your own one of the three artisan types, which is crafter or gatherer, processor. You will be a master of one of those, you will not be master of the other two. – Steven Sharif
- The developers have referred to the following proficiency tiers of artisan progression.
- Progression within artisan classes does not directly relate to progression in a character's adventuring class, but there are requirements that take into account dangers, locations, toolsets, and surveying options that are level dependent.
- Q: In regards to character level and artisan level. We know that currently there are two separate things. That being said, what prevents a player from staying level one and partying up with a level 50 player to then gather level 50 resources in the high zones? That way, anyone who wants to take those resources will have to kill the gatherer who is level one and get a large amount of corruption for killing a level one as a level 50.
- A: Gathering higher level resources requires significant advancement within a particular profession for that gatherable resource. So, if I'm a Miner and I want to access the highest possible mineral, I need to be a master miner; and in order to achieve the master minor status I am going to be gaining adventuring level experience through that process, because many of those quest lines, many of those achievements are facilitated through quest lines. Some of those quest lines interface with adventuring difficulties that are out in the wild at certain levels. So that's going to predicate me- that's going to be a predicate for me to achieve a certain level in order to complete some of these quest lines and achieve that master status. So you will you will likely not see the ability of a level one alt character having the access to high level mineral mining, or any other type of gatherable out there. – Steven Sharif
- That character may then master up to two professions within this mastered path (subject to testing).
- A character will be able to achieve up to tier 3 or tier 4 proficiency in professions that are not mastered.
- Players will have the opportunity to dabble in all of the professions at a very beginners level and then that gives them an understanding of what that profession feels like and then allows them to pinpoint the direction that they want to go in to master particular professions. – Steven Sharif
- Based on testing, it may be decided to limit profession mastery certificates to a capped value.
- Becoming a master Crafter or a master Processor or a master Gatherer should be a significant time investment and resource investment; and because of that it should also be something that when you achieve that status it's like people on the server know who you are. – Steven Sharif
- Masteries aren’t just about making an item. They grant many things, including titles, access to items, bargains, and quests. 
- Previously it was stated that with considerable effort a player can master all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was later changed to a player being able to master some but not all professions within a mastered parent artisan class. This was changed to being able to master up to two or three professions within a mastered parent artisan class (subject to testing). The current stance is being able to master up to two professions.
- Q: What would be the daily activities for someone at level 50 with a maxed out artisan tree?
- A: The daily activity might be something along the lines of, depending on what type of profession or processor you are, of interacting with fellow artisanship individuals to wheel and deal on supply and demand chains; orchestrating and participating and caravan roads that move materials across the world so that you can satisfy buy orders and/or commission requests. Participating in unique trades and/or dungeon experiences that have the opportunity to acquire unique crafting materials so that you can create the dragon's legendary sword and sell that potentially. Finding unique harvestable materials in remote parts of the world or engaging in treasure map finding for again unique materials and/or processing things. There's a whole host of different intents that are loops for the players to participate in that again are situationally relevant based on the world state. – Steven Sharif
Freehold building tech trees
- Freehold building tech trees are building-specific.
- Freehold building tech trees can be reset/respecced for a cost.
- Maxing the tech trees for a particular profession will grant access to all four of its workstations.
- In order to fully spec out a particular tree of one profession, you will need in most cases, at a minimum, two of the buildings for that particular profession. And that also grants you access to have all four of the workstations that that profession's building provides; and then you can spec into those territories. So you're occupying additional levels of permits in order to achieve that broad spectrum mastery over that particular profession, as opposed to specializing within the mastery of that profession. – Steven Sharif
- Artisan gear may be able to be equipped in an undergarment slot that can be toggled between adventuring gear and artisan gear.
- The developers are planning to have artisan gear sets available for Alpha-2.
- Gathering tools and artisan gear have stats that affect gathering rates and yields.
- Gear for artisans are going to live alongside your adventuring gear. So you will currently- the approaches, and we'll test this but currently- the approach is you'll have artisanship oriented gear. This might be beneficial for your gathering; it might be beneficial for your processing, or crafting, or whatever it is- your profession. Essentially you will craft that gear, you will equip that gear, it'll live almost as a undergarment slot so to speak; and then you can activate that and it will show the appearance if you wish during the activation when you gain the benefit from the from the gear itself; and then could disappear afterwards and go back to your adventuring gear. That's the current approach. We're going to play with that a little bit. There's some discussion and disagreement on the team about how we do that, but our hopes are for Alpha two, we will have I think a couple of sets at least. We're demonstrating all of the artisanship from gathering to processing to crafting in limited fashion in Alpha 2 want to have that gear present to play with this approach.
- Each gathering profession has three gathering tools. Each tool allows gathering of different resource types.
- Progression in the gathering artisan class unlocks higher level harvesting tools that enable gathering of higher level resources.
- Artisan progression unlocks higher level surveying tools that enable better identification of gatherable resources within a location.
- Higher level of progression can also speed up gathering times, resource yields, and may allow access to resources at earlier growth stages.
- A gatherer at maximum proficiency will unlock master toolsets that will grant them access to the highest quality gatherables.
- Tools will have durability and lifespans.
- Artisans will not need to rely on other trees in order to make their tools.
- Tools do advance within the artisan tree, so your ability to either gather, process or craft will require the equivalent tools necessary at that stage of crafting in order to accomplish the task at hand. So, you could not mine copper and mithril with the same tool. – Steven Sharif
- The developers are considering the introduction of gathering tools that require two players, such as two-person saws that can fell larger trees.
- Your progression within the profession will take account what tools you can use. There might even be some opportunity to do some gathering with other players that . Typically in other games that I play you usually do the gathering alone. You're venturing around alone; and we wanted to take a look at maybe having a friend to help you with a two person saw on a larger tree. Maybe there's some panning that you could do as opposed to just hitting with the pickaxe. So, we'll have other tools that are part of that progression path and other activities that players can do if they would like to gather together. – Kory Rice
Artisan supply chain
Artisans within Ashes of Creation must choose a path in their artisan skill tree. This inter-dependency establishes a supply chain from raw materials to finished product. Each stage of the chain may require caravans to transport goods from one artisan to another.
- Obtaining raw materials:
- Refining the raw materials with the Processing profession.
- Crafting the finished product using its crafting recipe.
As a crafter you're going to want to know where certain recipes can be fulfilled; which nodes have the capability of creating what you've processed material that you've gathered for; and then you're going to want to plan out your route to either transit the goods there or make sure that you're situated in the area so that you can go out collect and build in that area as well. So there's a lot of planning that's going to be necessary. – Steven Sharif
- Interview, February 7, 2021 (36:38).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (6:12).
- Livestream, July 26, 2019 (1:09:46).
- Development Update with Freehold Preview.
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (50:07).
- Livestream, April 7, 2023 (1:00:55).
- Livestream, October 28, 2022 (1:32:38).
- Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:31:11).
- Livestream, April 29, 2022 (1:13:00).
- Livestream, May 24, 2017 (32:07).
- Interview, March 27, 2020 (5:25).
- Interview, July 20, 2020 (18:47).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (42:51).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (42:37).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (27:52).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (1:23:24).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (31:43).
- Interview, July 9, 2023 (33:55).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (41:41).
- Livestream, June 30, 2023 (33:26).
- Livestream, June 30, 2022 (1:17:34).
- Livestream, March 26, 2021 (1:06:50).
- Video, June 30, 2023 (3:14).
- Video, October 28, 2022 (26:14).
- Livestream, October 14, 2022 (32:38).
- Interview, March 27, 2020 (9:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (38:25).
- Video, October 28, 2022 (25:11).
- Livestream, April 30, 2020 (53:11).
- Livestream, July 31, 2020 (1:05:58).
- Interview, July 20, 2020 (20:17).
- Livestream, May 10, 2017 (8:22).
- Livestream, May 8, 2017 (20:41).
- Livestream, July 18, 2017 (38:30).
- Livestream, May 26, 2017 (26:00).
- Interview, May 11, 2018 (24:18).