From Ashes of Creation Wiki
- 1 Overview
- 2 Game Engine
- 2.1 Developer Quotes
- 2.1.1 Voice chat:
- 2.1.2 Supporting add-ons?
- 2.1.3 Name reservations:
- 2.1.4 Will characters have surnames?
- 2.1.5 For your interface have you discussed how much freedom players will have to change it/install mods?
- 2.1.6 How open or extensive with API options be (like Evemon in Eve Online)?
- 2.1.7 What is your stance on multi-boxing or dual/multiple clients open?
- 2.1.8 Will a user stay in the game once they disconnect from the server?
- 2.1.9 Will you consider adding RP servers, just a place where RPers can hang out with each other?
- 2.1.10 How will multiple servers work? Are you locked into a server, will there be shards?
- 2.1.11 What will the content release tempo be post game release? How often can we expect to see updates, both major and minor?
- 2.1.12 Will this game be IP Blocked? What server regions will the game have, such as EU, NA, OCE?
- 2.1.13 Is the game server based?
- 2.1.14 I imagine that the different servers are probably going to vary a bit?
- 2.1.15 Authenticator system?
- 2.1.16 Will there be music macro language? MML? It’s like macro scripts? (Harue)
- 2.1.17 How are you going to prevent RMT and gold selling?
- 2.1.18 Any anti-botting systems that you plan on introducing?
- 2.1.19 How high is optimization prioritized both client/server side?
- 2.1.20 Will you allow addons for AoC?
- 2.1.21 What are your design philosophies for the UI? Will it be fully customizable?
- 2.1.22 Will everything in the cash shop be obtainable through in-game means?
- 2.1.23 [52:30] Will you be able to change the control scheme in this game? (support for controllers, will it be ever be on consoles)
- 2.1 Developer Quotes
- 3 References
- Weekly scheduled maintenance downtime. 
- Voice chat will be party/raid activated.
- Camera FoV will be customizable.
- Kickstarter items will be able to be assigned to a character and reassigned if you wish.
- Headstart servers will be separate and have nodes deactivated.
- The Ashes IP might branch into other genres.
- Used UR4 for graphical fidelity with backend coding by Intrepid.
- Unreal engine is mainly used for as a graphical engine with all networking code being done in house.
- There will be a voice over IP for parties, raid and guilds and they are working with Discord to achieve that.
- (Tentatively) There will be support for web tools, for in-game can’t say atm.
- Will go from the top down in terms of pledge packages.
Will characters have surnames?
For your interface have you discussed how much freedom players will have to change it/install mods?
- We’re leaning towards [shifty eyes] not allowing mods
- There will be some options for customizations
- But as far as “true” mods, not really sure they’re going to support
- Don’t want a meta to appear where mods are required to be competitive
- [Exception!] Superficial mods which change the aesthetic look of the UI has been implemented.
How open or extensive with API options be (like Evemon in Eve Online)?
- We’re still discussing this, it’s not fully decided yet.
- Want there to be secrets you can’t datamine.
What is your stance on multi-boxing or dual/multiple clients open?
- It’s fine/no official policy.
- As long as you have a paid account should be ok.
- Reminiscing of other multibox setups they have seen
- [This commentary does not appear to take macro/botters into account, but rather someone who is physically manipulating multiple accounts the normal way
Will a user stay in the game once they disconnect from the server?
- Not really only wish kiosks. Might just be replacing with NPC.
- There will be a delay, so that people can’t immediately get out of combat
Will you consider adding RP servers, just a place where RPers can hang out with each other?
- If the community wants to say “hey, we’ve decide this is going to be de-facto RP server,” that’s fine.
- It’s something that should be sprinkled out among all the servers.
- RP gets picked on by the hardcore community, but in reality they add immersion for everyone.
How will multiple servers work? Are you locked into a server, will there be shards?
- Server locked, not instanced map spaces within servers. Each server will have their own population, with no crossover between.
- Node system requires it because of the differences between servers. Differences between servers will mean no crossover will be possible.
- Each server should tell a different story, be dynamic.
- When a young kid, Steven loved Goosebumps, specifically Choose-Your-Own-Adventure. Always had a choice, wants to have a similar story telling feeling to each server.
- Doesn’t understand why it hasn’t already been implemented
- So cool, wow.
- Enabled lots of player stories, lets people on different servers regale each other will awesome stuff from their server.
- These are the experiences that people remember from MMORPGs.<
What will the content release tempo be post game release? How often can we expect to see updates, both major and minor?
- Very often. Subscription model allows them to constantly push out content, coupled with the node system means they have a way of releasing that content regularly. Constantly adding to the already built in systems.
- Currently fairly undecided, they are thinking ~quarterly big updates, with minor ones in between. Difficult to tell pre-release.
- Possibly minor ones every month, depends on the flexibility of the node system.
Will this game be IP Blocked? What server regions will the game have, such as EU, NA, OCE?
- Planning to launch with:
- No planned IP Blocks.
- Self publishing means they probably won’t need to restrict things.
Is the game server based?
- Yes it is server based
I imagine that the different servers are probably going to vary a bit?
- *Laughs* They are going to be VERY different
- As players enter the world a few things are going to depend on the server population that you are a part of
- The community determines the servers direction, both in narrative and development
- Depending on how the race populations may vary from server to server
- A different development “pace”
- Different development node locations
- These bring with them unique epic bosses, narrative/storyline, quest lines, antagonists/protagonists
- Player driven economics/politics brings “some” varying degree of differences across servers, but this is compounded with the environment being different on a server
- Steven thinks this makes for a really compelling experience for players
- The real novelty of Ashes of Creation
Will there be music macro language? MML? It’s like macro scripts? (Harue)
- We’re going to have not only music but potentially customized dance. I’m not sure on the specific language that will be used. We haven’t addressed that in design discussion.
How are you going to prevent RMT and gold selling?
- We’ve implemented the security mechanisms in the game. In no P2W, we won’t allow gold sellers to circumvent our position on this. Behavioral algorithms, security mechanisms, we’ll have very versatile metrics we’re using to monitor those accounts. In addition, being subscription based game cuts out a large percentage of accounts made to just sell gold. It increases the barrier to entry. We can’t have 100% efficacy, but we’ll try very hard.
Any anti-botting systems that you plan on introducing?
- Really robust security systems and protocols in-place
- Being a sub based game makes the barrier of entry a lot higher
- Steven thinks they will be really successful combating it
- Jeffery and others have background in it, they’ve been proactive in designing around it from day one
How high is optimization prioritized both client/server side?
- Optimization is a pretty important aspect
- We want client side and server peak epitome
- Great aspects of UE4 as an engine is that a lot of stuff is already baked in
- Got 60fps in example in center of city, on a 970 graphics card
Will you allow addons for AoC?
- Generally the answer is no.
- There is a point where addons become a necessary tool for players to have
- Parsers can have some nasty effects on players, if you are not the 1% the way you are treated
What are your design philosophies for the UI? Will it be fully customizable?
- Yes. We want to add a lot of customization for adjusting the UI
- Lot of options to make it pleasing to the eye
- Its built with customization in mind, can change the UI when it gets boring
Will everything in the cash shop be obtainable through in-game means?
- No, not everything.
- Lot of people concerned cash shop customization means nothing via in-game means, this is not the case
- Potato sacks confirmed!
- A lot of dyes/ costumes, diverse source of cosmetics in-game obtainable
- Achievements mentioned to unlock cosmetics
- Will never go down the scenario where monetization gets you ahead
- Seasonal cosmetics
[52:30] Will you be able to change the control scheme in this game? (support for controllers, will it be ever be on consoles)
- You will be able to change your control scheme
- Unknown but good possibility for controller support
- Cannot answer where it will go to consoles
- Solid goal, take it to PC
- If possible, we will address console/controller concepts