From Ashes of Creation Wiki
- 1 Overview
- 2 Keystroke System
- 3 Skill Trees
- 4 Augments
- 5 Video
- 6 Combat FAQ
- 6.1 Combat, I know you said it is 20% rough now [As of PAX West], where do you see it going, do you see it polished in 2018 for Alpha and Beta?
- 6.2 As your are probably aware, combat is a core aspect to any MMO and in the past we’ve seen it can really make or break a game. Can you tell us about the combat system in AoC and your design principles behind it?
- 6.3 Is there going to be mounted combat? Can mounts be killed?
- 6.4 How will mob tagging work? How will looting work? Combat? 
- 6.5 [40:00] Will any spells require players to be stationary and will players be able to interrupt?
- 6.6 [42:00] Do you intend to limit the number of spells you can learn or only those that can go on the bar?
- 6.7 Will the area music change when you’re under attack?
- 6.8 Will there be some kind of RNG involved in damage / heal you provide and does position / damage from back more effective 
- 7 References
- Combat will be a hybrid system that focuses on skill, composition, balance/counterbalance, and movement/positioning.
- Combat effectiveness drops as you gain corruption.
- All stats relate to your combat effectiveness in PvX.
- Players will chose their skill sets from their chosen archetype combination class. 
- Precision system used in combat with weapons where you can combo your weapon skills.
- Completed combos will build energy for your ultimate ability.
- Tank Referenced here:
- Swings sword
- While sword is swinging hits they next key and shield bashes enemy
- While shield bash is occurring hits the final key and slams sword down into the target
- You level everything simultaneously.
- You will be able to spec deeper into one skill over the other.
- You will have skill trees you cannot have all the skills on.
- Players have a choice to be geared more towards tab targeting or action orientated combat.
- Augments modify how primary skills feel and act. For example as a Fighter primary you might have a rush skill and with Rogue secondary you get a stealth augment for the your charge.
- Some skills and functionality will only be part of primary skills. For example a cleric secondary might be able to heal himself but will not be able to be the primary healer in a raid.
- You can gain augments from different sources:
- Secondary archetype
- Artisan class
- Other community organizations (e.g. Thieves guild)
- Race 
- Race advancement
- Guild progress
Combat, I know you said it is 20% rough now [As of PAX West], where do you see it going, do you see it polished in 2018 for Alpha and Beta?
Steven: I believe we will see very close to complete combat state of polish at the end of 2018 
As your are probably aware, combat is a core aspect to any MMO and in the past we’ve seen it can really make or break a game. Can you tell us about the combat system in AoC and your design principles behind it?
- Huge part of the design philosophy, how to find the blend of character skill and player skill that results in the best game. Want to create a healthy balance of what players are capable of that includes strategy, skill, progression. Epic gear shouldn’t just shit on everyone else, if they aren’t skilled enough,
- Flat power curve.
- Hybrid action/tab targeting system. Positioning, dodge skills, i-frames, other action combat systems combined with tab targeting systems.
- Both systems have their faults, want to include the best of both systems.
- Not class based, all classes include this balance.
Is there going to be mounted combat? Can mounts be killed?
- Mounts can be killed
- Mounts will have abilities that some mounts will have. Some might have combat applications.
- Won’t be able to use class skills while mounted.
How will mob tagging work? How will looting work? Combat? 
- No nailed down system on mob tagging
- Will release developer blogs on these specific mechanics
- Want to make sure the combat system is done well
- Most focus is on the combat system
- Apprehensive of showing unfinished gameplay because people jump to conclusions.
- There will be cooldowns
- Fast paced
- Skill will play an important role
- Positioning, kiting, battlefield control
[40:00] Will any spells require players to be stationary and will players be able to interrupt?
- There will be skills that lock you down
- Some abilities will make you a bigger target
- There will chances to interrupt
- Some abilities are better than other at interrupting
[42:00] Do you intend to limit the number of spells you can learn or only those that can go on the bar?
- No, you will not have a hundred spells on your bar.
- There is no a spellbook, no memorization
Will the area music change when you’re under attack?
- Yes, 100%, battle declared = heavy percussion
Will there be some kind of RNG involved in damage / heal you provide and does position / damage from back more effective 
- Position will not be a factor
- RNG will come into play for critical hits
|PvE||Questing • Events • Dungeons|
|PvP||Arenas • Open World • Sieges|
|RP (Role Playing)||Cosmetics • Parlor Games|
|Economy||Caravans • Trade • Markets • Artisan Classes|
|Miscellaneous||Achievements • Combat • Guilds|